Recording

watco7

Hi Watco:

I'm new here too, but in my messing around with WavePad for the last couple of days, I suspect even the PAY version of WavePad isn't going to give you the ability to work on each track separately. You're probably going to need something like "Cool Edit Pro," which I abandoned because it gave me a headache trying to figure out how to do the simple editing tasks I needed. WavePad was so intuitive for me "out of the box," I made my first edits without evening opening the HELP file.

There's another freeware editor you might look at:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

which appears to have separate tracks, but doesn't appear to have some of WavePad's really neat features, like "scrub." (And, it won't work in Win95 like WavePad will.)

Jerry

• 1 year later...

wow, I can't even figure out how to post here, so how I ever manage to record/edit tracks must be a miracle!

I am not sure about lots of tracks, but I did a few, just exported them separately from a digital recorder, then edited one at a time, and mixed together... on wavepad... seemed to work pretty well so far.

If I can just get these lil' thrashers to keep their levels down initially...

(I don't remember playing THAT loud back in my day! yeah right ; )

... the volume, gain, reverb, equalization, etc can be leveld/cleaned up a bit on each track. Then I mix em one on top of the next, always making note to self -save each mix as you go.

I just run a shure57 right against the guitar amps, a kick drum mic for bass amp, 4-5 mics- kickmic, snare mic, tom mic, and overhead condensers (cymbals) thru PA for drums, and vocal(s) mic thru PA, - into a really cheap 8track digital recorder, save/export each track to a wave file, then transfer to the PC.

I dont know much about it yet but even "masters edition" I don't think you can load and edit the tracks simultaniously, except as open files of each track, but on my budget (having more than just my own teenager to feed) this is by far the BEST editing program I could imagine. It's awesome!

Someone let me know if you find software (not expensive) that will, tho, thatd be cool.

thanks,

mom