Uninstall problems with Windows 7

billzinn

Having purchased Office Intercom quite a while ago while we were still on Windows XP Pro, I downloaded and installed the 'trial version' of Office Intercom to see if a new version might function under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and I guess, by 'checking things out', I guess I somehow managed to turn it into an installation of Express Talk, too). Whatever....

But about two days later, I decided to 'un-install' it ... and all H*** broke loose wqhen I tried this.

When I uninstalled ALL of the NCH software (Express Talk, NCH Toolbox, Office Intercom) suddenly, none of my desktop icons were functional, nothing from the 'Start' button 'works' (or whatever it is that MS is calling that Windows icon where the Start button once was), none of the 'program links' function, nor does any other access to any software installed into Windows 7. It seems to have 'removed' "key aspects" of the Windows 7 OS, in some manner.

'Right-clicking' on the taskbar (to access the 'Task Manager') returns an error code saying something about 'no valid operation exists for this action', or something to that effect, just as it does trying to open the 'Computer' icon ("no valid oiperation exists ... etc. etc."

I was unable to 'open' anything either from desktop shortcuts or from the programs menu. Windows is (seemingly) 'operational', but no icons appear (just 'little white boxes' on my desktop) and no matter what I try, absolutely nothing 'works'.

In order to write this forum message, I had to 'rollback' by computer to this past weekend's backup by accessing the 'Repair your computer' link whe doing a 'safe boot' (F8) ... but htis backup which still has the NCH software 'installed'.

So, I'm wondering.. how the heck does one UN-install this software without thoroughly corrupting Windows 7? This was the only software I have recently installed, and I have 'verified' this problem three times now (talk about wasting my time... sheesh!). Since this software is now 'in' my system, my only alternative is to simply 'live with it' until such time as I can either find a way to remove it - or I 'blow this thing away' and re-install EVERYTHING.

I guess I should look elsewhere for a similar IP-based intercom software for Windows 7 64-bit.... OI isn't going to 'work, obviously... not if I ever intend to un-install the stuff.

Obviously, this softwrae is NOT compatible with Windows 7 64-bit - or so it seems .... too bad the software did not 'caution' me about this BEFORE I tried it out...

Update: 'hacking' the registry to remove all references to OI and Express Talk seems to have at least 'disabled' the software, instead of 'un-installing'. So, for now, I guess I'll just plan on 'blowing away' my PC just after the first of the year and NOT trying out OI or Express Talk in the future...