Express Scribe not Compatible w/ Large Files

Guest D. McGrath

Guest D. McGrath

I use two recording formats: MPEG Layer 3 and MP3, stereo, 56 kbits, 24. hz or higher. I mainly have large recordings, over five hours or more.

Express Scribe does not work at all with large wave files of this nature. It's not a matter of it working sometimes and sometimes not. It's just period, it doesn't work, not with a foot pedal.

What happens is, approximately three-quarters of the way through, if you take your foot off the pedal and press play again, the recording reverts back to the beginning of the wave file, but the indicator still shows it being at the three-quarter mark.

In order for Express Scribe to work is to split the file up so that it doesn't reach that threshhold cutoff point. However, your other programs, i.e. Wavepad, etc., are pretty labor intensive for splitting up files. It should be a simple thing, but it isn't.

Additionally, I had a large MP3 file that Express Scribe wouldn't load at all, on another computer. Well, it would go through the motions of loading, counted all the way to a very long 100 percent. Then Express Scribe thought the file was only 30 minutes long, wouldn't go beyond that 30.

I couldn't download it into Wavepad. It was having same problems as Express Scribe, so I had to play the entire recording via Windows Media and record the entire 8 hours, in sections. It took an entire day. More tedious than it should have been.