.dss to .mp3 conversion

ITjavelin

In testing the conversion worked great. Now I have purchased the license and activated it. Now it stopped working. I tested on an XP pro machine and on a Server 2003 machine. Its like it won't unlock the feature to decode the .dss. Has anyone had this problem where: it is working and then after the trial stops, you put in your activation code, then it no longer works? Can some one please tell me why this happens? I'm very frustrated. :angry:

Thanks in advance.

Guest N.C.H a.n

In testing the conversion worked great. Now I have purchased the license and activated it. Now it stopped working. I tested on an XP pro machine and on a Server 2003 machine. Its like it won't unlock the feature to decode the .dss. Has anyone had this problem where: it is working and then after the trial stops, you put in your activation code, then it no longer works? Can some one please tell me why this happens? I'm very frustrated. :angry:

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

DSS is a proprietary format, not an open standard, and unfortunately some of the newer recorders don't implement DSS in a way that is compatible with our software. The only work-around that we can suggest is to make sure that the person sending you the files is using SP mode on the recorder.

If the recorder supports other open formats (like mp3) it is always better to use them.

If your program crashes when you attempt to load or convert a dss file it is possible that the file is corrupt. Ask the user to redock and resend the file to you.

If you get a strange endless repeating of the file, or a truncation, and you first installed prior to 6 January 2005, please install the more recent dss32.exe from www.nch.com.au/components <http://www.nch.com.au/components/index.html>.

Hi,

DSS is a proprietary format, not an open standard, and unfortunately some of the newer recorders don't implement DSS in a way that is compatible with our software. The only work-around that we can suggest is to make sure that the person sending you the files is using SP mode on the recorder.

If the recorder supports other open formats (like mp3) it is always better to use them.

If your program crashes when you attempt to load or convert a dss file it is possible that the file is corrupt. Ask the user to redock and resend the file to you.

If you get a strange endless repeating of the file, or a truncation, and you first installed prior to 6 January 2005, please install the more recent dss32.exe from www.nch.com.au/components <http://www.nch.com.au/components/index.html>.

I don't think it is the file itself. The reason is, I had this working on a XP machine with a Dell desktop with a SATA drive using one test file. Then put it on a HP server with server 2003 and now it does not recognize the DSS format. It has the same component files as the XP machine. So does the switch software not read SCSI drives? I put the software on a server for the cpu power for doing large batches of files as fast as possible. The requirement said that it would work on 2003 or is it the assumption that it would be on a desktop form factor? I'm just trying to figure it out. I really need this figured out soon.

Thank you for your input. :)

Guest N.C.H a.n

I don't think it is the file itself. The reason is, I had this working on a XP machine with a Dell desktop with a SATA drive using one test file. Then put it on a HP server with server 2003 and now it does not recognize the DSS format. It has the same component files as the XP machine. So does the switch software not read SCSI drives? I put the software on a server for the cpu power for doing large batches of files as fast as possible. The requirement said that it would work on 2003 or is it the assumption that it would be on a desktop form factor? I'm just trying to figure it out. I really need this figured out soon.

Thank you for your input. :)

Hi,

If windows can read the drive, then so can switch.

If you are having trouble loading audio files, please go to the microsoft website and perform a direct X update.

Direct x is used to decode audio files. (aswell as the component)

Updates to direct x are released monthly so there is generally always an update you can perform.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&DisplayLang=en

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem here. I reinstalled Switch from a XP machine to a new one, as the old one went down these days. After entering my registration data, I still couldn't convert dss-files, as Switch claims that this format is not supported. I used one of our archived dss-files, which already worked in Switch. Is it possible that Switch didn't upgrade to Switch Plus, which was capable of converting dss-files, after entering my registration data? How can I tell the difference between Switch Plus and Non-Plus?

Same problem here. I reinstalled Switch from a XP machine to a new one, as the old one went down these days. After entering my registration data, I still couldn't convert dss-files, as Switch claims that this format is not supported. I used one of our archived dss-files, which already worked in Switch. Is it possible that Switch didn't upgrade to Switch Plus, which was capable of converting dss-files, after entering my registration data? How can I tell the difference between Switch Plus and Non-Plus?

Well the title bar will say plus or not. I fixed my problem. It was a licensing issue. I reinstalled a bunch of times and got a meesage saying that you can install one more time by there graces. So I took the opportunity and installed on my server. Tried it and worked. Before I tried toreinstal the dss32.dll and got no where. Maybe try installing on another machine that is set up the same as the other. try to trigger the message I got an then go to the machine youaccually want to install it on and install it there. Make sure you uninstall from the other machine first. that's how I got mine to work.

Well the title bar will say plus or not. I fixed my problem. It was a licensing issue. I reinstalled a bunch of times and got a meesage saying that you can install one more time by there graces. So I took the opportunity and installed on my server. Tried it and worked. Before I tried toreinstal the dss32.dll and got no where. Maybe try installing on another machine that is set up the same as the other. try to trigger the message I got an then go to the machine youaccually want to install it on and install it there. Make sure you uninstall from the other machine first. that's how I got mine to work.

Good one, but I can't risk uninstalling it from my running system and installing it on a new machine, just to find out that I have no running version at all... so there must be another solution. Btw. my title bar in the existing and working installation says "Switch Plus" and it's a v 1.31. The new version I downloaded a few days ago says "Switch Sound File Converter Plus" v 2.03. And the odd thing is, that dss-conversion worked with v 1.31 but not with v 2.03.

• 11 years later...

Hello,

I just purchased the switch license to convert .dss to anyother format I can use. I know my .dss work because another converter could convert one into .wav yet switch tells me "Impossible d'ouvrir le fichier DSS. Ceci signifie qu'il ne s'agit pas d'un vrai fichier DSS ou que celui-ci est endommagé." which roughly translates to "Cannot open the DSS file. This means it isn't a real DSS file or it is broken."
It tried updating DirectX and downloading and installing dss32.exe using admin priviledges from NCH website. I am using Windows10. How can I convert my .dss?

Thank you,
Jeremy