Domain URL

jaysmoke

Hi, I have been to dyndns.com and now I have a url which I can use to access the stream live from anywhere. But it's a subdomain ie name.dyndnsdomain.com but I would like to have my own domain point to my public IP so that I can type www.mydomainname.com:88/broadwave.mp3 to access live stream. Is this possible and how can I do it?

Thank you.

Hi Justin,

Welcome to the forum.

I presume you have already bought the domain name from a domain name registrar. You'll need to buy a service which allows you to create a record on a primary domain name server which points to your IP address. If you have a fixed IP address, that will be the one to use, but if you have a dynamic address, then you'll need to make sure the DNS hosting company can provide a dynamic DNS service.

If you rent webspace from your ISP (e.g. on their servers), but have your Broadwave server on a different address (e.g. on your broadband connection at home), then you'll need two DNS entries, one for the web space and the other for the stream.

I don't use such a service myself as my ISP automatically provides both, but there are many companies out there which offer this service for a few pounds a month. Do a search on the internet using the following terms: domain name management dns.

If you haven't bought a domain name yet, then any of these companies can register one for you too.

Thanx KenA,

I don't quite understand what you are saying. I have eg registered a domain with godaddy.com and it gives me the option to add a new record for my dns...as a CNAME, TXT, A or an NS. I chose CNAME? Is that the right thing to do?

Hi Justin,

A CNAME record will redirect the name to lookup another name, but you will need an A record, to provide the IP address to use.

For example, I type "yourname.com" into my broswer, and it uses DNS to get an IP address.

If you have defined a CNAME, it will say that when someone requests an address for yourname.com, use myname.com instead.

The A record will say that yourname.com is IP address 1.2.3.4 for example. The numeric adress is the one needed for the network routing, so you will always need an A record.

Hi KenA,

Ok I found the A Record. But the domain already has 2 different A Records. One is @ and the other is www can I create a third one and call it Broadwave and point it to my public IP?

Oops...I added my Public IP Address and realized that it's not the same anymore. And also found out that my DNS is provided automatically as my Internet IP address...what do I do nooooooooooow. Should I insist my provider give me fixed IP and DNS IPs or there's a workaround?

Hi Justin,

can I create a third one and call it Broadwave and point it to my public IP?

There's normally a one-to-one relationship between fully-qualified domain names and IP addresses.

For example, www.domain.com would point to the IP address for your website, and music.domain.com could point to the Broadwave server, and mail.domain.com would point to your mailserver and so on. Your DNS service provider may limit the number.

Oops...I added my Public IP Address and realized that it's not the same anymore.

You will need to keep the IP address up-to-date. If you have an "always-on" service, then it normally doesn't change until you disconnect/reconnect your modem. You should see of the DNS service provider can handle dynamic addresses.

Should I insist my provider give me fixed IP?

That will depend on the ISP. Some don't do it, other charge extra for it and some, like mine, offer it free if you ask for it.

Hi Justin,

There's normally a one-to-one relationship between fully-qualified domain names and IP addresses.

For example, www.domain.com would point to the IP address for your website, and music.domain.com could point to the Broadwave server, and mail.domain.com would point to your mailserver and so on. Your DNS service provider may limit the number.

You will need to keep the IP address up-to-date. If you have an "always-on" service, then it normally doesn't change until you disconnect/reconnect your modem. You should see of the DNS service provider can handle dynamic addresses.

That will depend on the ISP. Some don't do it, other charge extra for it and some, like mine, offer it free if you ask for it.

You are a miracle. I wouldn't have guessed. My ISP also provides it but didn't know that the name you use for the stream is what you will use to access the stream...ie I used broadwave as the name so automatically I just add the name broadwave.mydomain.com:portnumber and it worked :) thanx a mil. Will holla when and if I ran into any other prob. This rocks

• 10 years later...
  • 3 years later...
On 8/28/2009 at 8:26 PM, jaysmoke said:

You are a miracle. I wouldn't have guessed. https://swcpoker.club/posts/bitcoin-poker-freerolls/ My ISP also provides it but didn't know that the name you use for the stream is what you will use to access the stream...ie  https://www.viberate.com/ I used broadwave as the name so automatically I just add the name broadwave.mydomain.com:portnumber and it worked :) thanx a mil. Will holla when and if I ran into any other prob. This rocks

Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad to hear that you were able to figure out how to access the stream and that everything is working well for you. If you encounter any other issues or have any more questions in the future, don't hesitate to reach out. Happy streaming and enjoy your music or content! Have a great day!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/26/2009 at 4:38 AM, jaysmoke said:

I don't quite understand what you are saying. I have eg registered a domain with godaddy.com https://www.viberate.com/music-analytics/ and it gives me the option to add a new record for my dns...as a CNAME, TXT, A or an NS. I chose CNAME? Is that the right thing to do?

Choosing CNAME for your DNS record is often the right move, especially when you want your domain to point to another domain.