express talk unable to find public ip address

covici

Hi. I was trying to use express talk to register with my asteris server and I discovered that instead of using the public ip, it was using the private ip. I have stun enabled, so why is this happening?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

It sounds like your router or rather your firewall may be blocking the ports Express Talk is trying to utilize. Try forwarding 5060 and 8000-16000 UDP ports on your router and unblocking the same on your PC's firewall - assuming one is enabled.

You can also try specifying a static IP in the network settings should the problem persist.

I thought that if I used a stun server, it would detect the ip address -- isn't that what they are for? I am sure the ports are correct because it actually registers with the server, but it gets no audio because the correct ip is not passed.

Connecting to the stun server usually only works if the ports are properly forwarded. Also, you can still register the SIP account even if the ports are not being forwarded correctly, no audio transfer is a telling sign that blocked ports are the problem (and not having a correct IP is also a symptom for the same).

• 2 months later...