Can I edit out commercials?

zyarc

I'm glad this software is free because I wouldn't pay a nickle for it. It's totally confusing to use. All I want to do is edit out the commercials from a recorded TV show. Windows Movie Maker crashes when I import the file so I searched for another video editor and found this one. I've spent too much time trying to edit out commercials with no luck. Is it even possible to do this with the software?

Thanks.

zyarc

• 3 weeks later...
I'm glad this software is free because I wouldn't pay a nickle for it. It's totally confusing to use. All I want to do is edit out the commercials from a recorded TV show. Windows Movie Maker crashes when I import the file so I searched for another video editor and found this one. I've spent too much time trying to edit out commercials with no luck. Is it even possible to do this with the software?

Thanks.

zyarc

Actually, cutting commercials is quite easy.

First import the video you want to edit, sit back and wait for it to import. Takes a few minutes.

Now you make use of the red and blue tabs. Drag the blue flag tab to the end of the first segment of your TV show. Then use the "filmstrip" icon to save the first segment below.

Now it gets a little more complicated but not much. Drag FIRST the blue flag tab to the end of your next segment, then the red tab to the first part of your next segment. This will bypass the commercial. Hit the film strip icon again. Do this over and over till all the segments are in the pane on the upper left.

Then you hit the create movie button...and voila...make sure you convert to the file format you're interested in. FYI the first time I tried this, my file from mpeg to mpeg was larger after the commercial cuts than it was before...but on the second try, I converted to wmv, and saved a ton of space. You could also convert to FLV (for youtube or some such) and save whopping big space but your quality is going to suck. WMV quality has been as good as original IMO.