Cleaning up old cassette recording

Guest Tom Giles

Guest Tom Giles

Ok gang. New to this and my first post. Here is the problem:

I was given a cd that has stories and interviews with my grandmother that died 26 years ago. It was recorded on a cheap cassette recorder and has been transfered to a digital format and given to me on CD. I don't know how to describe the problem except to say that it seems to have been recorded too loud. It has a tin sound to it when my grandmother speaks. A noticeable cracking.

I have the Beta of version 4.21 for Mac Intel.

Any suggestions on how to fix this so that I have a better recording of her voice?

Thanks, Tom

Ok gang. New to this and my first post. Here is the problem:

I was given a cd that has stories and interviews with my grandmother that died 26 years ago. It was recorded on a cheap cassette recorder and has been transfered to a digital format and given to me on CD. I don't know how to describe the problem except to say that it seems to have been recorded too loud. It has a tin sound to it when my grandmother speaks. A noticeable cracking.

I have the Beta of version 4.21 for Mac Intel.

Any suggestions on how to fix this so that I have a better recording of her voice?

Thanks, Tom

I'd try compressing the track first...because just lowering the volume may not do the trick quite the same.

I also found that auto gain control sometimes would reduce the volume in certain instances.

So 1st I'd make a copy of the file, then work off the copy and save the original, because you may find some other software at another time to fix what wavepad may not be able to.

Anyways that's always the best thing to do, work off a copy.

Guest Tom Giles
I'd try compressing the track first...because just lowering the volume may not do the trick quite the same.

I also found that auto gain control sometimes would reduce the volume in certain instances.

So 1st I'd make a copy of the file, then work off the copy and save the original, because you may find some other software at another time to fix what wavepad may not be able to.

Anyways that's always the best thing to do, work off a copy.

Thanks. I am working from a copy which I agree is best. I'll give it a try as you suggested. If anyone else has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Thanks, Tom