Can't erase burned DVD+RWs

Kane's Dad

I burned AVI files to 2 x DVD+RWs to watch movies on standard DVD player. Was very happy with results. However, having watched the movies, I now wish to re-use the DVDs but they will not erase. The disc erase function in both Express Burn Plus and Sonic just spits the discs out. Exploring the disc contents and attempting to delete the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders returns a message that the disc is write protected. So, I'm only getting a single use out of rewritable DVDs. I'd be very grateful for any solutions.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest N.C.H a.n
I burned AVI files to 2 x DVD+RWs to watch movies on standard DVD player. Was very happy with results. However, having watched the movies, I now wish to re-use the DVDs but they will not erase. The disc erase function in both Express Burn Plus and Sonic just spits the discs out. Exploring the disc contents and attempting to delete the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders returns a message that the disc is write protected. So, I'm only getting a single use out of rewritable DVDs. I'd be very grateful for any solutions.

Hi,

open my computer and right click your dvd drive that has the disk in it. Then click "erase this cd-rw" and that will open the cd writing wizard and erase the disk.

If you can't see the option, right click the drive and select properties.

Then click the recording tab, and tick the option to enable recording on the drive.

Now you will be able to right click the drive and see the erase option.

Even though the erase option says CD, it works for dvd's aswell. I've got an erase running right now.

If windows can't do the erase, then thats it. Try a different brand of disk as your burner and the brand of disk your using, don't like each other very well.

If you don't get an erase option at all, then the dvd is not re-writable. (i have seen many dvd+r's that have a little RW logo on them. this doen't mean they're re-writable.

Hope this helps.

Thankyou

Hi,

open my computer and right click your dvd drive that has the disk in it. Then click "erase this cd-rw" and that will open the cd writing wizard and erase the disk.

If you can't see the option, right click the drive and select properties.

Then click the recording tab, and tick the option to enable recording on the drive.

Now you will be able to right click the drive and see the erase option.

Even though the erase option says CD, it works for dvd's aswell. I've got an erase running right now.

If windows can't do the erase, then thats it. Try a different brand of disk as your burner and the brand of disk your using, don't like each other very well.

If you don't get an erase option at all, then the dvd is not re-writable. (i have seen many dvd+r's that have a little RW logo on them. this doen't mean they're re-writable.

Hope this helps.

Thankyou

The day after my initial post I decided to try one more thing. Using one of the RWs that I hadn't been able to erase, I tried a new burn... and it worked! I've been happily reusing my disks ever since. For some reason the disk erase option works in the middle of a burn but not as a stand-alone function.

Incidentally, I tried your suggestion above and it doesn't work. Windows gives me the erase option and attempts the erase, but immediately returns a message that the erase has been unsuccessful. Oh well, there's no reason to erase a disk other than to use it again, and I've been able to use them again and again by burning new files over the existing ones. Still a mystery, but not one I'm losing sleep over now.