file storage

kevin

I have been using express scribe for about one year with good results. However, just recently I have encountered a problem related to file storage. First I will describe how I am using the program and then explain the question I have.

I collect digital audio files using a Sony recorder and download my audio files using the program supplied with the recorder. These files are non-wav files and are quite small. I convert these files to WAV and then use the load command to bring them into the Express scribe program where I do my transcription. I have been retaining the initial default file produced by the recorder and the WAV file and these files are starting to take up too much space on my hard drive.

I have observed that I can delete the WAV files that I loaded into express scribe and I keep access to my files. I suspect that when I load the WAV file that Express Scribe creates a third file but I am not sure. Even though it seems to work, I am afraid to erase all my WAV files for fear that I will lose or damage my audio and text data.

My question: can I erase these WAV files and still retain all the audio and text information that I have stored on express scribe?

I hope this is clear. I would greatly appreciate an answer to this question ASAP as my disk drive is really full.

Thanks very much!

Kevin

• 10 months later...

Hmm.. not sure if you still need this answer considering it's almost been a year that you've posted this question. But anyways, it won't do any harm in deleting the originals, I think (I hope). Express Scribe is still able to retain all the audio and text information. I know because I have (or rather Express Scribe has) accidentally deleted all my original wav files within the folder that I've specified for automatic incoming files.

I'm want to recover my originals though..... :(