Burning hard disc camera files

davidh789

Hi, I have a JVC hard disc drive camera and apparently the files come in pairs with .mod and .moi files.

The file for instance would say MOV01 hard disc camera movie - this file is the bulk (I believe to be a .mod) and the second would be similar MOV01.moi but the size is usually only 1 Kb

I've tried burning the files together and also the .mod separately and all I get is the "converting files" hours on end

Do you know anything about these file types and or how to burn them onto a DVD? Anything would help at this point as I've spent hours using multiple programs that get me nowhere.

thanks!

Hi, I have a JVC hard disc drive camera and apparently the files come in pairs with .mod and .moi files.

The file for instance would say MOV01 hard disc camera movie - this file is the bulk (I believe to be a .mod) and the second would be similar MOV01.moi but the size is usually only 1 Kb

I've tried burning the files together and also the .mod separately and all I get is the "converting files" hours on end

Do you know anything about these file types and or how to burn them onto a DVD? Anything would help at this point as I've spent hours using multiple programs that get me nowhere.

thanks!

"Prism Video Converter" is free and has the abililty to convert .mod files to mpeg or avi etc. - something that "Express Burn" can convert to be able to watch on a DVD player.

Now I have a problem with the CPU usage going straight to 100%. I have 1GIG of ram, is that not enough to run this program?

Guest N.C.H a.n
"Prism Video Converter" is free and has the abililty to convert .mod files to mpeg or avi etc. - something that "Express Burn" can convert to be able to watch on a DVD player.

Now I have a problem with the CPU usage going straight to 100%. I have 1GIG of ram, is that not enough to run this program?

Hi,

No thats enough. But the more power you have, the more it will use. (more cpu usage = faster conversions)

If your cpu is dual core then you will still be able to use other apps and continue working happily.

If you have a single core process without hyperthreading, you will still be able to do other things, but it may struggle a little.

(we could make Prism use less CPU but that would mean slower conversions. I'm using a 3.4ghz dual core with 2 gigs of ram and I hit 96-100% also)

It is interesting though that Express burn couldn't convert the file on its own.

Did you try using the ffmpeg option in file -> options?

It will download a component called ffmpeg that it will use for the decoding. (basically if you have any trouble converting anything, the ffmpeg component will usually work when others fail)

Thankyou

Guest N.C.H a.n
Hi,

No thats enough. But the more power you have, the more it will use. (more cpu usage = faster conversions)

If your cpu is dual core then you will still be able to use other apps and continue working happily.

If you have a single core processor without hyperthreading, you will still be able to do other things, but it may struggle a little.

(we could make Prism use less CPU but that would mean slower conversions. I'm using a 3.4ghz dual core with 2 gigs of ram and I hit 96-100% also)

It is interesting though that Express burn couldn't convert the file on its own.

Did you try using the ffmpeg option in file -> options?

It will download a component called ffmpeg that it will use for the decoding. (basically if you have any trouble converting anything, the ffmpeg component will usually work when others fail)

Thankyou

I tried burning the DVD with the ffmpeg option that you recommended and it seemed to work fine, The CPU capacity was at a 97% though but managed to complete a small DVD. The problem was that it does not work in my DVD player, but works fine on the computer. Does the DVD player have to have an mpeg codec built in it to recognize the DVD file? Maybe it's dated by now.

Also the DVD I used was a DVD-R - I don't know if that makes any difference. Thanks for you help!

Guest N.C.H a.n
I tried burning the DVD with the ffmpeg option that you recommended and it seemed to work fine, The CPU capacity was at a 97% though but managed to complete a small DVD. The problem was that it does not work in my DVD player, but works fine on the computer. Does the DVD player have to have an mpeg codec built in it to recognize the DVD file? Maybe it's dated by now.

Also the DVD I used was a DVD-R - I don't know if that makes any difference. Thanks for you help!

Hi,

No the dvd player doesn't need any special codecs to play the DVD. Please try using a DVD+R disc for the next one and you will likely find that it plays well in the player.

97% is about right. When Express Burn is converting the files, its functioning similar to the way prism does. (using as much power as it can to convert the file(s) for the dvd)

There is a slight difference to -r and +r. If one doesn't work, try the other. -r is the older format, and +r is the newer one.

Thankyou