No file names on burned files??

l.simms

New Express Burn user having no trouble burning viable audio CDs, but all files showing up on disc as "Track 01," "Track 02" instead of actual file names.

Am I missing a step or setting?

Good question. I've got the same problem. And I can't see a way to file or print a detailed playlist either.

If these very basic things aren't possible I won't be using ExpressBurn again. Does the paid version do this? It's not in the features description.

I'm using version 4.14 from Tucows.

Good question. I've got the same problem. And I can't see a way to file or print a detailed playlist either.

If these very basic things aren't possible I won't be using ExpressBurn again. Does the paid version do this? It's not in the features description.

I'm using version 4.14 from Tucows.

My version is 4.24.

This does seem awfully fundamental...which made me suspect I might be missing something obvious. Any help out there?

My version is 4.24.

This does seem awfully fundamental...which made me suspect I might be missing something obvious. Any help out there?

On the offchance, I just tried clicking on Toolbox to see if that helped, and let it install something, but that just hung with solid 100% CPU. I'm beginning to lose hope with this software.

Guest N.C.H a.n
My version is 4.24.

Hi Guys,

The problem is that audio cd's are super old. Been around way too long.

You may have noticed that when you buy a cd from a shop, and put it into your computer and start playing it through media player. (with the internet disconnected) Media player will show that all the songs are called track 01, track 02, and that it is an unknown artist, and unknown album.

This is because when Audio CD's were originally designed, there was no need to include this type of information. So once they made audio cd's and started selling cd players, they couldn't exactly just change things and render 1000's of cd players around the world useless.

So they had to leave it.

And thats why Express Burn does this. because it is the standard and if we try to change it then the discs won't work when you go to play them. (other burning programs work the same way)

The solution that was introduced to fix this problem that the whole world was having was .MP3's.

Pretty much all new cd players these days will play mp3 files.

MP3's can also store plenty of information about each song. + they are a lot smaller so you can fit more on a disc.

Eventually the old players still in use around the world will be upgraded, and we will not need to use audio cd's anymore.

Though that might take a long time to happen.

Thankyou

Hi Guys,

You may have noticed that when you buy a cd from a shop, and put it into your computer and start playing it through media player. (with the internet disconnected) Media player will show that all the songs are called track 01, track 02, and that it is an unknown artist, and unknown album.

This is because when Audio CD's were originally designed, there was no need to include this type of information. So once they made audio cd's and started selling cd players, they couldn't exactly just change things and render 1000's of cd players around the world useless.

So they had to leave it.

And thats why Express Burn does this. because it is the standard and if we try to change it then the discs won't work when you go to play them. (other burning programs work the same way)

The solution that was introduced to fix this problem that the whole world was having was .MP3's.

MP3's can also store plenty of information about each song. + they are a lot smaller so you can fit more on a disc.

Eventually the old players still in use around the world will be upgraded, and we will not need to use audio cd's anymore.

Thankyou

Every burning program, 5 or 6 of them, I've used up to now has been capable of getting the information from somewhere and making it usable for examining the disc or -- more importantly -- for printing a contents list for the jewel case or on the disc itself. (Not for some ancient CDs, but only a few.)

ExpressBurn does display such a list, with the full .WAV file path names and track names, but it won't let me use it as a text file, so I can only use it via a screen grab. That means that ExpressBurn has the information I want to use, but it won't let me use it as data, either for printing or to put in a database. Doesn't make sense to me, and it makes ExpressBurn almost useless as far as I'm concerned. Are you saying that even the pay version can't meet such a basic requirement even when the information is available?

I can't use MP3 because some of the target players can't play MP3.

(By the way, I only tried ExpressBurn because the software I usually use -- Easy Media Creator 9 -- won't run on Vista.)

Guest N.C.H a.n
Every burning program, 5 or 6 of them, I've used up to now has been capable of getting the information from somewhere and making it usable for examining the disc or -- more importantly -- for printing a contents list for the jewel case or on the disc itself. (Not for some ancient CDs, but only a few.)

ExpressBurn does display such a list, with the full .WAV file path names and track names, but it won't let me use it as a text file, so I can only use it via a screen grab. That means that ExpressBurn has the information I want to use, but it won't let me use it as data, either for printing or to put in a database. Doesn't make sense to me, and it makes ExpressBurn almost useless as far as I'm concerned. Are you saying that even the pay version can't meet such a basic requirement even when the information is available?

I can't use MP3 because some of the target players can't play MP3.

(By the way, I only tried ExpressBurn because the software I usually use -- Easy Media Creator 9 -- won't run on Vista.)

Hi,

Yes the burning programs, Media player etc, get the CD information from the internet. Not from the CD.

I'm pretty sure too that there is a way you can put track information on an audio CD but not all players will be able to read the information. And I think it causes problems with playback on some older cd players. (I vaguely remember reading something about it a fair while ago)

Do you want to be able to display the Track names etc as text so that you can copy and paste it to somewhere (like a word doc or database, or cover designer program)?

I'll put in a suggestion and see what the programmers say. If they think its a good idea and go ahead with it, I'll see about getting you a free license.

Thankyou

Do you want to be able to display the Track names etc as text so that you can copy and paste it to somewhere (like a word doc or database, or cover designer program)?

I'll put in a suggestion and see what the programmers say. If they think its a good idea and go ahead with it, I'll see about getting you a free license.

Thankyou

That's exactly what I want to do, NCHan! And/or perhaps to optionally be able to write a text file containing all that stuff, including source file ids and paths. It would be useful for MP3 discs/pods as well.

Thank YOU very much.

I would love to be able to have the names of the tunes burned onto cds when I burn them also. I typically burn home made music onto cds and I know there is absolutely no on line information about those tunes, however the wav files that I load into Burn Express Plus has names attached.

Please, "Make it so".

Nick

Guest N.C.H a.n
That's exactly what I want to do, NCHan! And/or perhaps to optionally be able to write a text file containing all that stuff, including source file ids and paths. It would be useful for MP3 discs/pods as well.

Thank YOU very much.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

Yes the burning programs, Media player etc, get the CD information from the internet. Not from the CD.

I'm pretty sure too that there is a way you can put track information on an audio CD but not all players will be able to read the information. And I think it causes problems with playback on some older cd players. (I vaguely remember reading something about it a fair while ago)

Thankyou

Dear N.C.H a.n and All:

HAS ANYONE HERE CREATED AN AUDIO DISK THAT STILL SHOWS THE SONG/ALBUM/ARTIST INFO USING _ANY_ SOFTWARE OTHER THAT A DIRECT COPY OF A COMMERCIAL DISK?

ok. yes, media player et alia DO get their info from the net. BUT, they DO GET said information. what is the key bit of info that is being missed in the audio CD's that "we" are creating?

having re-created an album from assorted mp3's exactly as the original, there is some info that is still missing. is this the UPC code?

when using roxio easy media creator 7 basic dvd, i notice that there is a spot to put "UPC CODE" and i have left that blank. roxio seems to create the audio cd's in the same output format as burn express. i find express burn simpler to use that the gargantuan roxio, so i'll probably stick with it, but it sure would be nice to get that missing song/track/album/artist info that the mp3's contain onto the audio CD's i/we are creating.

thanks for this forum too, btw.

Regards, -A. Freeman

Dear N.C.H a.n and All:

HAS ANYONE HERE CREATED AN AUDIO DISK THAT STILL SHOWS THE SONG/ALBUM/ARTIST INFO USING _ANY_ SOFTWARE OTHER THAT A DIRECT COPY OF A COMMERCIAL DISK?

ok. yes, media player et alia DO get their info from the net. BUT, they DO GET said information. what is the key bit of info that is being missed in the audio CD's that "we" are creating?

having re-created an album from assorted mp3's exactly as the original, there is some info that is still missing. is this the UPC code?

when using roxio easy media creator 7 basic dvd, i notice that there is a spot to put "UPC CODE" and i have left that blank. roxio seems to create the audio cd's in the same output format as burn express. i find express burn simpler to use that the gargantuan roxio, so i'll probably stick with it, but it sure would be nice to get that missing song/track/album/artist info that the mp3's contain onto the audio CD's i/we are creating.

thanks for this forum too, btw.

Regards, -A. Freeman

ok, now i'm replying to my own post... how pathetic is that? *grin*

upon closer examination, i find more interesting info.

using windows media player 9, default with winxpprosp2, and with a firewall, zonealarm, not allowing access to the net, various commercial CD's have different behavior and info popping into WMP. some using random and various CD's, i get some of the following behavior. all CD's play both in my drive and also a cheapy, no-frills, portable diskman-alike.

"destiny's child/'the writing's on the wall'" appears as a data disk in the drive; the name comes up in the "my computer - explorer" window, but WMP still wants to access the net to get song info

"lifescapes/'celtic romances'" appears as an audio disk - WMP also wants to access the net to get any song info, but gets it all right away when allowed net access

"deee-lite/'dewdrops in the garden'" which i just recreated from mp3's exactly as the original album, appears as an audio disk - WMP wants to access the net, but comes up with NO song/album/artist info even though all of this was entered both in the mp3's, into roxio's info fields, and as much of same was entered into burn express (two different CD's, one created with each program)

so...? more ideas folks?

Regards, -A. Freeman

ok, now i'm replying to my own post... how pathetic is that? *grin*

upon closer examination, i find more interesting info.

using windows media player 9, default with winxpprosp2, and with a firewall, zonealarm, not allowing access to the net, various commercial CD's have different behavior and info popping into WMP. some using random and various CD's, i get some of the following behavior. all CD's play both in my drive and also a cheapy, no-frills, portable diskman-alike.

"destiny's child/'the writing's on the wall'" appears as a data disk in the drive; the name comes up in the "my computer - explorer" window, but WMP still wants to access the net to get song info

"lifescapes/'celtic romances'" appears as an audio disk - WMP also wants to access the net to get any song info, but gets it all right away when allowed net access

"deee-lite/'dewdrops in the garden'" which i just recreated from mp3's exactly as the original album, appears as an audio disk - WMP wants to access the net, but comes up with NO song/album/artist info even though all of this was entered both in the mp3's, into roxio's info fields, and as much of same was entered into burn express (two different CD's, one created with each program)

so...? more ideas folks?

Regards, -A. Freeman

aaaaannnd once again replying to my own post.

quick addition: it seems that this desired info is found by CDDB, now know as Gracenote

http://www.gracenote.com/business_solutions/music_id/

must be where WMP and such are getting song info and strengthens my suspicion that the UPC CODE is probably involved somehow.

Regards, -A. Freeman

Guest N.C.H a.n

Thank YOU very much.

Hi,

This feature is in the works for a future release.

I will post a message here when it has been done.

Thankyou

• 1 month later...

RE: UPC CODE is probably involved ~ maybe not

I'm a musician I recorded my own album then used CDbaby.com to distribute it. In preparing to do so, I bought a UPC code from CDBaby. The upc code is simply a unique identifier for a product. In my case the UPC code for the CD points to cdbaby as the manufacturer, but also specifically references my CD. Not the individual songs, just the CD as a whole. So, it appears unlikely that the UPC is used by WMP to collect ID info about tunes, because there is no such info encoded in the UPC I have.

aaaaannnd once again replying to my own post.

quick addition: it seems that this desired info is found by CDDB, now know as Gracenote

http://www.gracenote.com/business_solutions/music_id/

must be where WMP and such are getting song info and strengthens my suspicion that the UPC CODE is probably involved somehow.

Regards, -A. Freeman

• 4 weeks later...
The concerns expressed by by I,.Simms and I burrito are legitimate and have nothing to do with whether the CD is an old format or not. Any self respecting software will give you this information. This is standard if you use new versions of Nero, Creative Audigy, Roxio or any software worth its salt. I expect no less from NCN Software. As for MP3, Iam a little too sophisticated to listen to that. If I must convert WAV files I only use lossless codecs like Flac. WMA Lossless, or Monkey's audio.

Hi Guys,

So they had to leave it.

Thankyou