Won't Play in DVD Player

ClifKelley

Burned my first DVD using Express Burn. Created a file in .avi. Tried to play in my regular DVD player - nothing. Will not start the disk or even recognize the disk. It did try to load it (so, the DVD player knows it has a DVD disk inserted and is trying to 'read or load' it - but could not 'see' it at all to load it.

Just purchased Express Burn and other programs and am thinking about revoking much or all of purchase.

Can you please help. If we can get this work, the suite appears like it will help. If not, then I have something that will not work.

Burned my first DVD using Express Burn. Created a file in .avi. Tried to play in my regular DVD player - nothing. Will not start the disk or even recognize the disk. It did try to load it (so, the DVD player knows it has a DVD disk inserted and is trying to 'read or load' it - but could not 'see' it at all to load it.

Just purchased Express Burn and other programs and am thinking about revoking much or all of purchase.

Can you please help. If we can get this work, the suite appears like it will help. If not, then I have something that will not work.

Hi,

When you burned the dvd, did you select the video dvd button, or the data dvd button?

You will need to use the video dvd option or Express burn will just burn the file onto the dvd as an avi, and won't convert it to be read by the dvd player.

If you did use video dvd, then I would suspect that your dvd player does not like that type of dvd that you are using. Try a different brand, particularly one that is coloured yellow on the bottom. Some lasers don't get reflected very well when disks with blue or silver bottoms are used. Yellow is the standard colour and seems to work the best.

TDK usually use this colour.

If you can't find a yellow, just change to a differnet brand and it should work ok for you then. :)

Thankyou

Hi,

When you burned the dvd, did you select the video dvd button, or the data dvd button?

You will need to use the video dvd option or Express burn will just burn the file onto the dvd as an avi, and won't convert it to be read by the dvd player.

If you did use video dvd, then I would suspect that your dvd player does not like that type of dvd that you are using. Try a different brand, particularly one that is coloured yellow on the bottom. Some lasers don't get reflected very well when disks with blue or silver bottoms are used. Yellow is the standard colour and seems to work the best.

TDK usually use this colour.

If you can't find a yellow, just change to a differnet brand and it should work ok for you then. :)

Thankyou

Hi AN,

Yes, I did select the video dvd option choice on each of the three failed DVDs. However, I tried the same brand DVD all from the same package. While I do not have any with yellow bottoms on hand, I do have two other brands and will try them (hopefully tomorrow USA time). I'm very well stocked in those two brands; so, hopefully one will work. We'll see for sure.

Thanks for the input. It's well worth a shot.

Clifton

I am having the same problem. I am trying to take a mpg 4 file and burn it to a DVD that can be played on my DVD player. I used the video dvd option but the player will not recognize it. I have also used a avi format to start with and it still did not work. Help

Hi,

There are a vast number of possible media / burner / set top player combinations. Searching the WWW would have shown you this.

1 – Try a better quality brand of media

2 – Try a brand known to work with your burner

3 – Burn slower

4 – Place DVD back into the drive it came and use a software DVD player to see if you can read it

5 – Try another set top player, there are many cheap ones out there

Hope this helps

First of all I am new to this so may ask some basic questions here.

1. I have searched the WWW over and over again. That is what lead me here.

2. I do not know what you mean by "better quality brand media". Are you talking about the brand of blank DVDs I have bought? I have Memorex DVD-R 16x 4.7GB

3. I am burning at 2.4 which is about as slow as it can get.

4. if "software DVD player" means can I play it on my computer yes I can

5. We have two DVD players one is a Panasonic and the other is a Toshiba. I would hope that those would be good. I don't plan on buying a new player just for this project.

6. I have tried several formats to get this done and it is the same results each time yet the express burn makes it sound very simple. I am starting out with mpg 4 video.

7. Do you have any other suggestions??????

Guest N.C.H a.n
First of all I am new to this so may ask some basic questions here.

1. I have searched the WWW over and over again. That is what lead me here.

2. I do not know what you mean by "better quality brand media". Are you talking about the brand of blank DVDs I have bought? I have Memorex DVD-R 16x 4.7GB

3. I am burning at 2.4 which is about as slow as it can get.

4. if "software DVD player" means can I play it on my computer yes I can

5. We have two DVD players one is a Panasonic and the other is a Toshiba. I would hope that those would be good. I don't plan on buying a new player just for this project.

6. I have tried several formats to get this done and it is the same results each time yet the express burn makes it sound very simple. I am starting out with mpg 4 video.

7. Do you have any other suggestions??????

Hi,

If the videos that you have burned play on your computer, but not in your dvd players, then I would say that your dvd players do not like the brand of disc you are using. If the player doesn;t even recognise that you have put in a dvd, then I would say that this would be the case.

2 things to consider in this scenario are.

1: Some brands of DVD's just do not work with some players. (especially older players)

2: Some players don't like certain types of DVD's. eg: some players won't play dvd-r discs, but will play dvd+r discs.

If you are using dvd-r discs, I would try using a dvd+r.

I have even seen some players that won't recognise either dvd-r or dvd+r. But they would recognise a dvd+rw. (shrugs shoulders)

Its a little bit of mucking around but once you find a disc that your player will read, you can stick to that type of disc and you shouldn't have any trouble.

The fact that the DVD's will play through your computer after you have burned them, pretty much confirms that the DVD's have been burn't successfully.

I hope this helps you guys out.

Cheers.

I've had the same problem - will not burn but does create the iso file.

Also, I've had problems with burning any kind of Video Disk.

On one of the forum questions, NCH folks suggested that I use different media (i.e. a different DVD). Well, that did not work either.

The bottom line is Express Burn apparently does not work well when burning Video DVDs. There are some huge problems. (I even got hooked up a new DVD/VCR combo out and it did not make a difference.)

All of the disks failed.

I downloaded Nero Trial and it worked the first time on BOTH a Video CD (played just fine in my newer DVD player); and, a DVD (that played in both DVD players.) Right now there is a special that makes Nero affordable and there is a free piece of software with it.

Some of the NCH programs work OK to well. Express Burn does not!

Clifton

MORE -SEE Last Comment

I've had the same problem - will not burn but does create the iso file.

Also, I've had problems with burning any kind of Video Disk.

On one of the forum questions, NCH folks suggested that I use different media (i.e. a different DVD). Well, that did not work either.

The bottom line is Express Burn apparently does not work well when burning Video DVDs. There are some huge problems. (I even got hooked up a new DVD/VCR combo out and it did not make a difference.)

All of the disks failed.

I downloaded Nero Trial and it worked the first time on BOTH a Video CD (played just fine in my newer DVD player); and, a DVD (that played in both DVD players.) Right now there is a special that makes Nero affordable and there is a free piece of software with it.

Some of the NCH programs work OK to well. Express Burn does not!

Clifton

PS - Preparing to try AN's diagnostic program later on; but, am disappointed in Express Burn thus far.