Authoring Video DVD

Alessandro

Hi guys,

I am trying to burn Video DVDs using Express Burn Plus. However, it has been attempting to convert video files for a very long time and has made no progress at all (video position is still 00:00:00).

When burning as Data DVD it works fine, but the discs are only readable on one of my DVD players and not the other (which I need to be able to use!).

Can anyone suggest what I should do?

If it helps I am using DVDShrink to backup the original DVDs.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest N.C.H a.n
Hi

I'm having the same problem. Did you find a solution yet? If so can you share it with me.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Please send me a Personal Message (by clicking my name and then clicking send message) telling me whats happening (i get a lot of pm's) and your email and I will send you a diagnostic version with instructions on how to send the traces to me. or to start with I might get you to copy the file to our ftp server so I can replicate the problem here and show the programmers first hand :)

Thankyou

• 1 month later...
Guest N.C.H a.n
I have the same exact problem. Why can't we get help with this?

Hi Guys,

If you are burning a Video DVD and have any trouble during the "Conversion Process" please do the following,

- Click File -> Options

- Tick the bottom option to ''Use ffmpeg first"

This will make Express Burn Download and use the FFMpeg encoder to encode the video files. (normally Express Burn will use an encoder from your computer, so If there is any trouble, then using the ffmpeg one should fix it)

Alessandro, If you are using DVD Shrink to rip the DVD's, you don't need to use the Video DVD option in express burn.

The better way to do it (in this situation) would be to create an ISO image file using DVD Shrink. Then when you drag n drop the ISO file into Express Burn, it will ask you if you would like to Burn the image file as a file, or write ISO to disk. You would select "Write ISO to disk".

This way will be much faster as DVD shrink will do all the hard work when it creates the ISO. And then you will save time with burning because Express Burn won't have to convert anything.

Thankyou

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys,

If you are burning a Video DVD and have any trouble during the "Conversion Process" please do the following,

- Click File -> Options

- Tick the bottom option to ''Use ffmpeg first"

This will make Express Burn Download and use the FFMpeg encoder to encode the video files. (normally Express Burn will use an encoder from your computer, so If there is any trouble, then using the ffmpeg one should fix it)

Alessandro, If you are using DVD Shrink to rip the DVD's, you don't need to use the Video DVD option in express burn.

The better way to do it (in this situation) would be to create an ISO image file using DVD Shrink. Then when you drag n drop the ISO file into Express Burn, it will ask you if you would like to Burn the image file as a file, or write ISO to disk. You would select "Write ISO to disk".

This way will be much faster as DVD shrink will do all the hard work when it creates the ISO. And then you will save time with burning because Express Burn won't have to convert anything.

Thankyou

I did the same thing. I burned under Data DVD and it read okay then I tried to play it and it says it was not formated.

What gives? CAn anyone help.

I also tried to copy from DVD shrink and it still did not play and changed to ffmeg settings.

Guest N.C.H a.n
I did the same thing. I burned under Data DVD and it read okay then I tried to play it and it says it was not formated.

What gives? CAn anyone help.

I also tried to copy from DVD shrink and it still did not play and changed to ffmeg settings.

Hi Guys,

Using the Data DVD option will not create a DVD that will work in your players. (unless your DVD player is capable of playing AVI files [divx], or .wmv natively) A PS3 is able to do this.

Data DVD just burns files to a dvd. Normal DVD players are not the smartest things around. They will only play video DVD's.

Video DVD's (the dvd's you buy from the shops) have a special set of criteria that they must adhere to for a dvd player to read them.

They must contain audio and a video folders. And the video files need to be in a .vob format. There also needs to be other special files that contain information about the .vob files.

So Burning a video file to a dvd as data, is not going to create a dvd with all the special .vob files etc that a normal dvd player needs to be able to play the video.

In this case you need to use the video dvd option.

I'll try and answer all the questions here.

- If you select Video DVD, and it looks like EB is having trouble during the conversion process, use the ffmpeg option in file -> options.

- If the Video DVD seems to have burned correctly, but doesn't play in your dvd player, please use a different type of dvd. EG: if a dvd-r doesn't work, try a dvd+r. and vise versa. There is a significant difference in the way that dvd-r's and dvd+r's are written to. So a good rule to follow is that if you have trouble with one, try using the other.

- If you are using DVD shrink to Backup DVD's, Back the DVD's up to an ISO image file using DVD shrink. Then Burn the ISO in EB using the Burner -> Write ISO image to disk option. You can do it the other way by backing up the dvd to a folder which will have many files, and then add the files to EB and select Video DVD, but doing it this way is going to downgrade the quality, and also take a lot longer because EB will have to convert everything.

Thankyou