Monitor/set volume BEFORE recording starts

sound_man

How can I monitor the input volume using the VU meters BEFORE I actually start recording. The VU meters do not display levels until I start the recording. The levels are usually too high. I end up adjusting the levels while the session is recording, ending and discarding the first recording attempt and start the recording session again.

Thanks

How can I monitor the input volume using the VU meters BEFORE I actually start recording. The VU meters do not display levels until I start the recording. The levels are usually too high. I end up adjusting the levels while the session is recording, ending and discarding the first recording attempt and start the recording session again.

Thanks

The best place to start learning what this sound-level monitoring business is about is at the website:

www.darkwood.demon.co.uk/PC/meter.html

Here you can download a couple of different _free_ (no strings whatsoever) excellent little sound-level meters that can be used along with any recording program to precisely set your sound level at _any_ time in the process. Download this little gem, read the instructions, and have a _look_ at what it is doing. Who knows, the puzzle might even clear up, particularly when the price is right :-)

This guy knows very well what he is doing. Now there are two.....

gooroo

The best place to start learning what this sound-level monitoring business is about is at the website:

www.darkwood.demon.co.uk/PC/meter.html

Here you can download a couple of different _free_ (no strings whatsoever) excellent little sound-level meters that can be used along with any recording program to precisely set your sound level at _any_ time in the process. Download this little gem, read the instructions, and have a _look_ at what it is doing. Who knows, the puzzle might even clear up, particularly when the price is right :-)

This guy knows very well what he is doing. Now there are two.....

gooroo

I was looking for a way to do it within Wavepad. I had software on my old computer (Creative Sound card) that allowed you to monitor the sound levels while you were previewing the item(s) you wanted to record. Once the levels were OK, you could hit RECORD and you were on your way. Wavepad only shows the active VU meters while you are actually recording. I was hoping there was a setting within Wavepad that would turn this option on.

I was looking for a way to do it within Wavepad. I had software on my old computer (Creative Sound card) that allowed you to monitor the sound levels while you were previewing the item(s) you wanted to record. Once the levels were OK, you could hit RECORD and you were on your way. Wavepad only shows the active VU meters while you are actually recording. I was hoping there was a setting within Wavepad that would turn this option on.

Perhaps I shouldn't do a "me too" post - but I am also really missing that feature! It would be very handy to be able to monitor the levels before recording (and perhaps not too difficult to implement..?). Just like "sound_man" I've used other editors that have this feature. And maybe we are not the only two in the "World of WavePad" to miss this feature..?

The stand-alone PPM/VU meters seem like a "decent workaround" though, so thanks for that URL.

Thanks,

Lars L

Perhaps I shouldn't do a "me too" post - but I am also really missing that feature! It would be very handy to be able to monitor the levels before recording (and perhaps not too difficult to implement..?). Just like "sound_man" I've used other editors that have this feature. And maybe we are not the only two in the "World of WavePad" to miss this feature..?

The stand-alone PPM/VU meters seem like a "decent workaround" though, so thanks for that URL.

Thanks,

Lars L

Go to their web-site and post "our" suggestion as an enhancement. It should be noted that Mix-Pad does have this feature. I agree, it shouldn't be that hard (if one of the other products already has the feature).