Can't convert .wma files.

awerneke

I am trying to convert .wma files which I have recorded on a digital voice recorder to either .mp3 or .wav files. I am not able to do so because when I try to Add Files, the .wma files are grayed out. Why is this happening? These are not write-protected files but my own voice recordings. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
I am trying to convert .wma files which I have recorded on a digital voice recorder to either .mp3 or .wav files. I am not able to do so because when I try to Add Files, the .wma files are grayed out. Why is this happening? These are not write-protected files but my own voice recordings. Thanks.

Having the same problem on my iMac...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to the forum and a neophyte regarding most of fussing around with sound files. There's a work-around that is a little convoluted but works. I was able to make an Audio CD from a WMA file using Express Burn. Then from the CD's cda file I extracted (ripped is the term?) an MP3 file. I used Express Burner and Rip to accomplish this. Kind of tedious, huh?

But having said this, I could also load a wma file using Switch Sound Converter, with the option to converting to MP3 which I did accomplish. If it makes a difference, I'm using the paid versions of Express Rip and Express Burn and able to launch the Switch Sound Converter through Express Rip. The wma option is active in the choices. Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

I just registered to answer this as I was having the same problem and found the solution, so I thought it might help others in the future to document it.

For some reason (bug?) it seems you can't select the files directly if you click on Add Files, but if you click on Add Folder and select the folder the files are in, it lets you select them individually. Alternatively, you can click on Open and drag-and-drop the file into Switch from the Finder window.