Normalize

Anselm

Hello,

I don't understand that: I recorded some tunes from a cassette (in .wma format). With WavePad I normalized them to a peak level of 100. The amplitude in the graphical view seemed a little low and so I tried to normalize again. And now the level is as usual. How is that possible? Isn't peak level 100 the absolute maximum?

Thank you in advance vor for helping,

Anselm

Hello,

I don't understand that: I recorded some tunes from a cassette (in .wma format). With WavePad I normalized them to a peak level of 100. The amplitude in the graphical view seemed a little low and so I tried to normalize again. And now the level is as usual. How is that possible? Isn't peak level 100 the absolute maximum?

Thank you in advance vor helping,

Anselm

Here is something that you can understand! It is a small freeware program which is very easy and straightforward to use and will (with just a small amount of usage) lead to a superb understanding of what normalization is all about. Strong emphasis upon a grasp of the essentials.

This program, which is right to the point, approaches the subject of normallization from a very different viewpoint than that "traditional" approach used by WavePad. Not that WavePad is "bad"--just that its "normal" approach to this subject is faked out by an end-run (so to speak) around normality.

This program, however, is limited to mp3 files only, which is of course the reason for the name "mp3gain". It is easily used in conjunction with WavePad by doing what is necessary (on the editing/conversion side of the process) to create an mp3 file. Once you have such a file, then "normalize" it using mp3Gain, effortlessly and painlessly, while indeed understanding what you are doing! You will then be one-up on 99.99 of folks who have been unsuccessfully attempting to normalize their mp3 files since the beginning of time :-)

So run, do not walk, to the website "http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net" and download the file from the download link named "mp3gain-win-1_2_5.exe".

If you still wish to normalize your mp3 files using WavePad's traditional approach to normalization, then someone else will have to help you with this. It's that simple--if anything about normalization can be claimed to be simple :-). I might add that I have posted this information here (albeit in a more extended form, along with information about another type of mp3 application) with absolutely no response. Users in this forum seem to be terrified by anything at all that even remotely smacks of something "technical," even though it will (with just a slight amount of effort) solve a giant and persistent problem for them! If you are one of these timid souls (even though this a simple program and concept to grasp), then so be it. The choice is yours.

gooroo

Here is something that you can understand!

Hello,

Thank you for your detailed response. Smile: I have installed MP3Gain a short time before WavePad but didn't use it anymore, because I assumed not to need it using WavePad. Now I'll study MP3Gain's help and compare the normalization of both of them, MP3Gain and WavePad.

Thanks a lot,

Anselm

Hello,

Thank you for your detailed response. Smile: I have installed MP3Gain a short time before WavePad but didn't use it anymore, because I assumed not to need it using WavePad. Now I'll study MP3Gain's help and compare the normalization of both of them, MP3Gain and WavePad.

Thanks a lot,

Anselm

--------------

If you need any help or clarification with mp3gain and the distinction between the normalization accomplished with this superb little program and that which is offered by WavePad, ask here and (perhaps) I can be of some assistance. I believe that I understand the basic concepts, although admittedly not having every last detail under control :-). In my experience, it is only getting a good grasp upon the basic concepts which can produce a truly satisfactory result.

I wonder how many folks around these technically-oriented forums even recognize what constitutes a "satisfactory" result? In order to avoid confronting this question, they remain silent. Frozen into silence, that is.......

gooroo

If you need any help or clarification with mp3gain and the distinction between the normalization accomplished with this superb little program and that which is offered by WavePad, ask here and (perhaps) I can be of some assistance.

Thank you for that offer. I indeed have a problem with MP3Gain. I have 23 MP3 files, all created the same way. The analyse log shows

Error while analyzing: P:\Audio\[title].mp3 is an MPEG Layer II file, not a layer III file. If you think this is incorrect, you can try enabling the No check for Layer I or II option.

Not enabling No check MP3Gain shows this values of only one file: Volume 144,2, clipping ???, Track Gain -55,7, clip(Track) ???, Album volume 144,2, Album Gain -55,7, clip(album) ???. When enabling the No check MP3Gain analyses just the first 6 files (skipping one).

Now I wonder what to do: Normalize with WapePad in two steps or gain with MP3Gain in an unknown way?

Thank you for that offer. I indeed have a problem with MP3Gain. I have 23 MP3 files, all created the same way. The analyse log shows

Not enabling No check MP3Gain shows this values of only one file: Volume 144,2, clipping ???, Track Gain -55,7, clip(Track) ???, Album volume 144,2, Album Gain -55,7, clip(album) ???. When enabling the No check MP3Gain analyses just the first 6 files (skipping one).

Now I wonder what to do: Normalize with WapePad in two steps or gain with MP3Gain in an unknown way?

You say that you have 23 MP3 files, which were all created the same way. However, you did not say what type of application was used to create these files. The problem here seems to be that you used the "wrong" type of conversion software to create these files: you used "level 2" mp3 versus the standard "level 3" mp3. It is assumed by the mp3gain application that level 3 mp3 has been used to do the mp3 conversion.

Where did your files originate? That is, how were they created and what was their format before they became mp3 files? I have not run into your particular problem, since all of the mp3 sound-file format conversion which I do (and I have a few programs which do such conversions, such as WavePad, Switch, Lame, and others which I shall not mention here, etc., etc), result in an mp3 LEVEL THREE file, which works nicely with the mp3gain normalizing application.

I think that your answer to my question should illuminate the trouble area. In short, just tell me where you got these files which you are trying to normalize....

gooroo

I think that your answer to my question should illuminate the trouble area. In short, just tell me where you got these files which you are trying to normalize....

Because our discussion is getting off topic I'll reply in a private message.

Regards, Anselm