FLAC to MP3 conversion

mattyp

Hi,

I recently installed the Switch v1.42 which came on the APC magazine DVD. I have tried to convert a FLAC file to MP3 and I continually get an error saying:

"This file could not be converted because the encoder used to create the file has quietly failed. It is possible the choice of encoder settings used produced this issue"

Now I have used it to convert other file formats, though it seems to fail with FLAC.

I am not sure if the version I has limits FLAC conversions, though if that was the case I would expect the error message to indciate so.

Regards,

Matt

I also use v1.42, but I got mine from the NCH website and I quickly broke down and bought the registered version, since a couple of uses of the freebie made it obvious to me I would be using this program a LOT!

FLAC to MP3 can be accomplished by either the freebie or the PLUS version. I have used Switch for converting FLAC to MP3 also, but have not encountered your problem. What FLAC encoder did you use for encoding your FLAC files in the first place? Or did you download them from someone else?

I use Speek's FLAC Frontend package which I downloaded from FLAC's SourceForge home page. Besides a simple Windows front end for the FLAC encoder, it includes a tagger and a FLAC file checker. The whole package installed occupies a hard drive footprint of less than 1MB! If I were you, I would download and install FLAC FrontEnd for at least the FLAC checker. Then, I would check the integrity of your FLAC files you are trying to convert - just to eliminate them as the source of your problem.

If your FLACs check out OK, you might want to uninstall and re-install Switch. To make sure it is totally uninstalled, use Windows Explorer to dig down into the "Program Files" folder and check to make sure that the "NCH Software" and "NCH Switch Sound" folders are gone. If not, DELETE them. There is the possibility that your installation or some of its components are corrupt; you don't want any of that left behind to corrupt your re-installation. Then go to NCH website and download a new copy of Switch from there. Re-install and then see if your problem persists.

Good luck,

Bill I.

Madison, WI USA

Hi,

I recently installed the Switch v1.42 which came on the APC magazine DVD. I have tried to convert a FLAC file to MP3 and I continually get an error saying:

"This file could not be converted because the encoder used to create the file has quietly failed. It is possible the choice of encoder settings used produced this issue"

Now I have used it to convert other file formats, though it seems to fail with FLAC.

I am not sure if the version I has limits FLAC conversions, though if that was the case I would expect the error message to indciate so.

Regards,

Matt