Bit Rate (Not Sample Rate)

GaryKaiser

I have some small sound files that are an 8k sample rate and an 8 bitrate. However, when I edit the sound file (they are all .aif files and need to stay that way) and save it with an 8k sample rate, the file doubles in size. I don't see a way to set the bitrate in the WavePad software. It looks like it is converting it from 8 bit to 16 bit.

Can anyone help?

I have some small sound files that are an 8k sample rate and an 8 bitrate. However, when I edit the sound file (they are all .aif files and need to stay that way) and save it with an 8k sample rate, the file doubles in size. I don't see a way to set the bitrate in the WavePad software. It looks like it is converting it from 8 bit to 16 bit.

Can anyone help?

An .aif file is the Apple analogue of a Windows .wav file. They are both _uncompressed_ digital sound files. I should point out that a bitrate of 8 khz represents a very high degree of compression! Hence your question does not make sense.

Please explain where you get an .aif file with an 8k sample rate and an "8" bitrate (whatever this means).

gooroo

An .aif file is the Apple analogue of a Windows .wav file. They are both _uncompressed_ digital sound files. I should point out that a bitrate of 8 khz represents a very high degree of compression! Hence your question does not make sense.

Please explain where you get an .aif file with an 8k sample rate and an "8" bitrate (whatever this means).

gooroo

Yes, I'm aware of the uncompressed nature of the .aif file. The 8khz is essentially "AM Radio" quality. However, there is also a bitrate element that comes into play. It is possible to set the bitrate in other audio applications, but I can't seem to find it in this application.

Yes, I'm aware of the uncompressed nature of the .aif file. The 8khz is essentially "AM Radio" quality. However, there is also a bitrate element that comes into play. It is possible to set the bitrate in other audio applications, but I can't seem to find it in this application.

As far as I know, WavePad only permits the user to choose various bitrates which reflect varying degrees of digital compression. For example, after editing an uncompressed .wav file, this file may be saved in a highly compressed form as an mp3 file with a bitrate of 8 kbps. This can be selected in the dialogue box which appears after choosing the "save file as" option from the file menu. As you are aware, this option to alter the bitrate does not appear when the file is being saved as a .aif file.

In other words, I do not know how one has an "audio quality" file which is not created by the process of compressing .wav (or equivalently, an .aif) file. Maybe someone else around here knows where to get such a file, and understands the process which is used to create it. But don't bet on it. By the way, where did you get a .aif file with a bitrate of 8 kbps?

gooroo

As far as I know, WavePad only permits the user to choose various bitrates which reflect varying degrees of digital compression. For example, after editing an uncompressed .wav file, this file may be saved in a highly compressed form as an mp3 file with a bitrate of 8 kbps. This can be selected in the dialogue box which appears after choosing the "save file as" option from the file menu. As you are aware, this option to alter the bitrate does not appear when the file is being saved as a .aif file.

In other words, I do not know how one has an "audio quality" file which is not created by the process of compressing .wav (or equivalently, an .aif) file. Maybe someone else around here knows where to get such a file, and understands the process which is used to create it. But don't bet on it. By the way, where did you get a .aif file with a bitrate of 8 kbps?

gooroo

www.soundrangers.com gives you the option to download purchased sound files in any number of formats and quality. The smallest size (lowest quality) version they produce and .aif file is the 8k/8bitrate. I have a message into the Sound Ranger people how they accomplish such a small .aif file.

Any additional feedback would be great!

Guest MichaelJee

Hello GaryKaiser,

Would you be able to send this file through to us for testing in the lab? Please PM me if you'd like.

Michael