express scribe won't recognize sound files on mac

Guest Mike

We have put es on my windows laptop and it is great

my wife has put it on her new mac and it won't recognize any type of sound files

I think I have read everything on the site about what could be happening

our great need is to have it on our macs here at home for transcribing

please help :blink:

• 1 month later...
Guest lincoln stoller

my wife has put it on her new mac and it won't recognize any type of sound files

I think I have read everything on the site about what could  be happening

I found the same with the files that my new Olympus DS-2 creates. ES is supposed to recognize them, but it doesn't. I found that with a free piece of software called EasyWMA I could convert the files into mp3 format. Then ES would recognize and read them. However, I'm having playback problems with these files that requires me to quit and relaunch ES after each 7 minutes of playback.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Naomi
what is the file extension for the audio files? The Mac version does not support as many formats as the Windows version.

I'm having this same problem. I have .wav files, which do play on my Mac (OSX 10.2.8) with other software. As far as I can tell, ES doesn't recognize ANY sound file formats that are on my Mac.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nicholas Berry
I'm having this same problem. I have .wav files, which do play on my Mac (OSX 10.2.8) with other software. As far as I can tell, ES doesn't recognize ANY sound file formats that are on my Mac.

I bought a MacMini for my mom a few months back and as happy she's been with it, we both beat our heads against the wall to get Express Scribe to work. Finally, we figured out that ES wouldn't read the CD audio format (at least on the discs we were using at the time) and used iTunes to "rip" the tracks into a WAV format which ES did recognize.

Hope this helps.

Guest Clevergirl

I've got this problem, too. :angry:

I've recorded a bunch of interviews using Sound Studio -- saved in WAV format -- & am running Mac OSX 10.4 -- the new one -- on a brand new Powerbook G4. I found this other discussion elsewhere in the ES forum: http://nch.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=319 . Has any of this helped you?

I had already tried the select folder suggestion and it didn't work. My audio files were all *still* grey. I also tried the suggestion by the other person there -- to go into the finder, use Control select to get the file & open it using Express Scribe. This resulted in my file name showing up in ES, but it listed the duration as 0:00 and sure enough, it doesn't play.

Has anyone yet come up with any solutions for this? When is ES going to solve these Mac related problems? I can play (at half speed) my files using Quick Time, but I'd prefer to use a software with which I can use a pedal!!! :blink:

• 5 years later...

I think I have read everything on the site about what could be happening

After days of searching I finally found a program that will let me finally play .wav and other files in ExpressScribe the way they were supposed to be instead of using QuickTime!

Step 1: Download Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Step 2: Open the file you want to convert/play in ExpressScribe. Play a little of the file to make sure it is not corrupted or damaged.

Step 3: When you are sure the file works properly click File --> Export... for the format choose AIFF (Apple) signed 16 bit PCM.

Step 4: Choose your save location and select save. Just click OK on the "Edit Metadata" screen. The file will export.

Step 5: Load the converted file into ExpressScribe and happy typing!

eMac G4 1.25 GHz