Broadwave and mp3el using Linux

multiplatform_user

Hi there,

I've got Broadwave working lovely on a Windows machine, but am now trying to get it working on a Linutop (Linux box)

When I try to install, it throws up the error that "mp3el is not installed".

Anyone know which other Linux application I need to install in order to get this working??? Before someone gets all clever and says "mp3el can be downloaded from the NCH site" don't forget that i'm running Linux. Setting it up for Windows was a doddle.

Many thanks in advance,

Dave.

(multiplatform_user)

• 9 months later...

Wow. This post is nearly a year old and NO reply! I WAS going to suggest purchasing this to a local non-commercial radio station, but I just installed this on my Ubuntu machine to test it out before we toss it on a Fedora server and I have the same problem with mp3el!!! The linux installation errors out and says "mp3el is missing. mp3el is required for Broadwave to run." OK...WHERE IS MP3EL for a linux distro!!! As stated above, don't get clever with the windows mp3el.exe file as that doesn't do squat in linux. HELP!

Hi there!

Let's firstly say that I hope that at least one of us sorts the issue out!

I gave up telling NCH "support" staff that mp3el.exe wouldn't work on Linux, but they won't listen!!

The Windows Broadwave software works great, so I bought a Linutop especially to make use of software.

Our budgets are really tight and now we just have a Linutop sat in its box and my manager asking if I have got it working yet. The NCH "no support unless you've paid" way is awful. Why should I pay to purchase software that doesn't work? Once I get it working, I'll be able to get funding to buy the licence.

The wine version seems to work OK, but the Linutop doesn't like it because the machine is too low-powered. The reason for using the linutop is size, so I can't swap machines either.

Overall, a poor show from NCH in my opinion!

Dave.

I found mp3el.component in the opt/nch/broadwave/bin folder. Well, kudos for me. It's a script that will run in terminal, so I ran it! It failed miserably. So I moved the mp3el.component file to the "component" folder and restarted the app. Still failure. Broadwave will NOT run on Linux because the mp3el component for linux systems is quite simply broken.

Also, the app incorrectly attaches to a /dev/null device! Every other piece of software I run (audigy, rhythmbox, amarok, audacious, movie player etc) sees I have an Ensoniq AdioPCI (Alsa mixer) and attaches to the Master stream appropriately. They ALL run fine. But not Broadwave! Instead it attaches to /dev/null which is USELESS and even IF the stream ran...it would be running NOTHING.

This is the WORST Linux distro I've ever seen. Definitely not ready for prime time. I would suggest (and just did in an email to their support group) that they take it DOWN off of the website until they get it fixed because this product clearly was released untested and unproven on any Linux platform. VERY BAD SHOW NCH!!

Well I was looking for something simpler than Icecast and DarkIce to get the station up and running. No disrespect to either package, but it requires a level of Linux administration you might want the more "novice" users to steer clear of. I was hoping Broadwave would fit the bill since the Windows version was VERY easy to install and maintain. I'm more than disappointed with the Linux version of this software. At any rate, I just found GNUMP3d in the Synaptic library and I'm taking that for a test drive now. Looks promising so far! AND IT'S FREE! (*gnudge gnudge* NCH).

• 4 weeks later...