Recursive Conversion - Directory Structure?

Guest FernRo

Guest FernRo

I've got 400 cds ripped to .wav files using itunes, which has created a clean and well-organized directory structure for the files based on Artist, Album, etc.

I'd like to convert them to mp3 in a different location. I've been very impressed with Switch's ability to handle the large number of files gracefully... But I need to maintain the directory structure of the originals in the new mp3 storage location.

I can't find anywhere in the interface to say "create the directories for the converted files just like in the original location". Is there such an option? Or a way to do it with the commandline?

Otherwise Switch is *perfect* for what I need to do. By far the best tool I've looked at this week (upwards of 20 so far).

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Guest FernRo
Have you got switch 1.05 ? In the output folder field, there is an entry in the pull-down list called "[same as source file]", which converts your files to the same folder the original file is in.

Sadly, there's no room on the original disk, and I need to convert to a different disk.

Guest Jeffrey

I'm doing something that might help you: On a windoze machine, I did a dir/s/b>dir.txt from a command prompt in my root music folder, then manipulated that filelisting in Excel into a series of commands that I pasted into a batch file.

I used the AFTLAST Excel function (described here: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/strings.htm) to separate the filepath from the filename, but you could take it a step further and use other text functions to strip the drive from the string... java script:emoticon(':)')

smilie

Good luck!

*MY* problem is that switch doesn't like reallysuperfantasticallylongfoldernames - 51 characters seems to be the limit in the outputfolder dropdown box; although longer pathnames do appear as dropdown options, they truncate!

Guest FernRo
oh, I understand what you want now. No, Switch cannot do that. We'll think about putting it in though.

Thanks for letting me know. I've started re-ripping to the new disk.