volume level!

mombasa

Hi all,

After i edit my aduio files and burn to CD, the volume level is too low. My Hi-Fi (which is very load) goes upto 32 points on the volume knob, but i have the crank it upto about 15 to get a decent level when playing the burned cd. I have amplified the volume on wavepad, but most of my files have their peak almost above the threshold, i.e. if i increase anything above 130-150% a lot of clipping will occur. The files i'm editing are mp3 files, so is there anyway to increase the volume without risking heavy clipping?

Hi all,

After i edit my aduio files and burn to CD, the volume level is too low. My Hi-Fi (which is very load) goes upto 32 points on the volume knob, but i have the crank it upto about 15 to get a decent level when playing the burned cd. I have amplified the volume on wavepad, but most of my files have their peak almost above the threshold, i.e. if i increase anything above 130-150% a lot of clipping will occur. The files i'm editing are mp3 files, so is there anyway to increase the volume without risking heavy clipping?

I may not be completely understanding your problem, but I found a program that can boost the volume of an MP3 directly by doing something to the MP3 code itself. It's normally used to adjust the volume of different files to a normalized setting so you don't have to be continually adjusting the volume for different songs. I've used it and it works great. So great, you would wonder why something like this isn't included in the WavePad software.

I may not be completely understanding your problem, but I found a program that can boost the volume of an MP3 directly by doing something to the MP3 code itself. It's normally used to adjust the volume of different files to a normalized setting so you don't have to be continually adjusting the volume for different songs. I've used it and it works great. So great, you would wonder why something like this isn't included in the WavePad software.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something like this IS included in the WavePad software which you purchase, but not in the demo software (or so I believe). The purchased software, which I use, is the WavePad Master's Edition, which is an excellent piece of software.

The part of this software that I am talking about here is the "batch processor" for audio files. There is a normalizer in the WavePad program which will work on any number files (hence the name "batch") and it is quite easy and intuitive to use. This will bring the volume level of a whole batch of files up to the same level, and you may choose any level that you desire.

Apart from this, I suspect that the poster edited an audio file using WavePad (whether demo or purchased) but did not pay close attention to the volume level bar in the lower right portion of the window. It is critical that the volume level of the saved file be adjusted properly. This can be tested by playing the file after the volume adjustment and observing how it is displayed on the volume level indicator. Ideally, the loudest peak in the music should go slightly into the red on this indicator.

Perhaps the poster needs some experience in peak-level recording, which one must have in order to edit successfully using WavePad. He did not say, however, where he got his mp3 file, and it may have been recorded at too low a level.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all. I have download these mp3 files from the net, so some are bad quality and hence the editing. The way i increase the volume is by using the amplying feature on wavepad (and yes its a demo version). I do know about the volume indicator on the bottom right and i usually keep this just on the red. I use real player for burning files on to CD - perhaps this is the problem? I've read a lot about increasing volumes, but they say to stay well away from doing too much as it will cause clipping and thus loss of quality.

Thanks all. I have download these mp3 files from the net, so some are bad quality and hence the editing. The way i increase the volume is by using the amplying feature on wavepad (and yes its a demo version). I do know about the volume indicator on the bottom right and i usually keep this just on the red. I use real player for burning files on to CD - perhaps this is the problem? I've read a lot about increasing volumes, but they say to stay well away from doing too much as it will cause clipping and thus loss of quality.

This method will still clip... It really isn't possible to enhance volume and not have to deal with clipping. Clips are always going to happen eventually under any circumstances if the volume is set to a loud volume.