exporting video

Joe O

I am trying to fix some transitions before exporting the video to an mp4 file. Exporting a 40 minute video is taking about 5 hours. Is that normal?

Also is there a way to export the changes without having to wait that long to export the whole video to be able to see if the changes work how I'm wanting them in the final video.

Another issue with this is when I am previewing the transition changes I get a lot of stalling and the message "building preview, please wait" which doesn't let me see whether those transitions are running smoothly.

Any suggestions?

What version of Videopad is being used and what are the specs of your PC:  CPU, GPU, free space on the C:\ drive, RAM?  Video editing is resource intensive.   Five hours isn't normal.

Make changes, then select (highlight) the clips that you want to preview export.  Press <ctrl-C> to copy them.

Open a new blank sequence by clicking the + sign to the right of the sequence 1 tab, to the left and above the timeline.  Press <ctrl-V> to paste.

Now export THAT sequence, to review the material that you copied.  The main sequence 1 won't be exported.

As for stalling, be sure to let the clips cache fully before previewing.  The green line above the thumbnails should be mostly complete, perhaps with a few breaks at transitions. 

Toggle the Use Hardware Acceleration option, under OPTIONS menu|EDITING tab to see if that makes a difference.

If the files are very high-def or large,  proxy editing may help.  See http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/26563-proxy-editing/

Share your project.  Someone will check it out and perhaps spot problems.  It's easy...

Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material you can link it in a personal message (PM) to me, via the envelope above.  Be sure to FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to share it.

I'm using VideoPad Professional v 7.33

CPU: AMD A8-5550M APU 2.10 GHz with 8.00 GB RAM

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8550G

272 GB free of 672 GB total

Thanks for the tip to export the sequence. That was a great timesaver.

I was able to get the MP4 saved with the transition effects I was seeking so sharing it won't be needed, but thanks for that availability.

I'll be purchasing a new machine in the next few months, so any advice on optimum specs for video editing would be appreciated.

Again thanks for all your help.

Glad you worked it out.  Use your favorite search engine for "PC specs for video editing."

Lesser configurations may suffice, but working with them can prove tedious. Consider a gamer-class PC in general if you plan on doing extensive editing.

If you'd like to see the likelihood of how a higher-end machine might reduce export time, please upload the project and specify the format and resolution.  We'll run it.

I have just downloaded the app. I find that after I exported my file. Only 4 mins long (took 30 mins to export). It now wont play on my computer (MAC). It is a mp4 file and opens in Quicktime, but error message "Can't open file" shows up. I have tried everything and now feel like I have just wasted my time cutting down my video.