Poor sound quality when copying stereo wav file from Zoom H1

kevh

Hi

Am I being thick?  I have loaded our gig file from last night. Sounds good and want to create a new file and insert different bits of songs to make a demo file.  I have done it before but on a different program but everytime I copy paste a section to a new file the sound is awful!   The Zoom H1 records in stereo so I thought it was that so i changed it to mono and no difference.  Also changed it to an mp3 and that made no difference.  I dont see why the sound would be so poor unless its just copying half the signal (the zoom has 2 mics).

Its definately only pasting  a mono signal as there is no option to view the stereo when its pasted even though the stereo signal was highlighted and copied... different program i think i need!

Any advice would be appreciated. thanks

Hello,

You can see if a file is mono or stere in WavePad by clicking the "Show different channels separately" button at the bottom left, above the "Start" and "End" timers.

If you're sure the extracted file from the Zoom H1 sounds better when played in Windows Media Player (or a Mac media player) than in WavePad, enter a support ticket at http://www.nch.com.au/support/index.html

Hi Yes its a stereo file.You can see it when you open it as there are 2 lines. When you highlight and copy both channels across and then paste it, it is just one channel and I am assuming thats why it sounds poor.

Its not that the sound is better on media player. it sounds the same on Wavepad as it does on Media player in its raw form but when i try to copy a section to a new file and paste it, its sounds rubbish, as if its just one channel.  I dont know that the case, i am assuming because i am copying 2 channels and pasting only one (i have tried all paste options and it makes no difference.

Does that make sense? thanks for the reply

Hello,

It is possible that when you click "New" to paste the section you copied from the stereo file, the new file is created in mono, thus, receiving only one channel.

Make sure the new wavepad file you create is a Stereo file. Check this at the bottom of the program under the "Start" and "End" timers, change it to "Stereo", you can set "Stereo" as the default channel setup at "Options > General > When Creating a New File", click "OK" to save the changes.

great logic and i was excited for a minute so i tried it.  It was a mono channel but on changing to a stereo channel, it made no difference ie original file is good and clear and copy pasted file is muffled and not clear. shame...

ta though