How do I eneter incidental payments/expenses?

Flockel

I’m not finding this application intuitive in its use as an engineer and not a book keeper.

However, how are incidental purchases entered, such as subsistence/meals etc. I can create an account in chart of accounts maybe, but at the moment I’m entering the details in accounts payable etc.

Also how is the initial balance (start up balance) recovered/taken out of the accounts, is this simply done by paying out using ‘make a payment’

Any help would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

To Enter a payment

From the purchases tab click on ENTER A PAYMENT

Place date in TRANSACTION DATE

IN PAY TO type who payment was made to (Do not set up as a vendor or else you end up with too many vendors who you may only deal with once). If they are someone you purchase from all the time you can set them up as a vendor if you like.

In ACCOUNT PAID FROM choose if the money came from petty cash or maybe you wrote a cheque and it comes from your check account.

In TRANSACTION REFERENCE I would put the cheque number after the auto number if you paid by cheque.

EG: PMT10007-CQ 12345

In JOURNAL MEMO put the description. EG: Joe Bloggs-Stationary

In ACCOUNT ALLOCATION choose the expense account relevant.

In AMOUNT put the purchase price.

Click RECORD.

Sometimes you might make one payment but want to spread the expense to 2 or more accounts.

EG: You go to a store and purchase a calculator and some printing paper. You have one account for things like calculators and another for things like printing paper.

In that case, in ACCOUNT ALLOCATION, you can put several lines of purchase going to different accounts.

Hope that helps.