vob to quicktime(mov)

schooner@me.com

Guest N.C.H a.n
I'm converting sony minidvd vob files to mov files for editing on Final Cut, they're shot in 16x9 how do I keep that through the conversion process?

Thanks, Schooner

Hi,

If this is on the windows version, click on the edit output button.

Then click resize video.

Make sure that the height is equal to: width divided by 16. and then times by 9.

Eg: if you make the width 1920 then the height should be 1080. [1920/16 = 120. 120x9 = 1080]

1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080 are both widescreen resolutions you could use.

thankyou

OK, that made my Quicktime window 16x9, but my video is still disproportionate (people are tall and skinny 4x3), my original video was shot on a sony mini dvd camera in 16x9 aspect, but when I play it in Prism converter plus, it plays 4x3. How do I get it to play 16x9 as originally shot before converting to mpeg4 for Final Cut?

Thanks, Schooner

'Schooner' - Depending on how much footage you wish to convert, I have a solution which I have used. It's labour-intensive, though, and I wouldn't recommend it for gigabytes of footage at-a-time. I had to devise this solution when I made a video of an overseas holiday, was stopped by the weather from achieving all that I set out to do, and had to mix Sony DV footage from a previous trip with MOV footage from my current JVC camcorder. Additionally, my work was in 16:9. The problem was that some of my vacation footage was shot in 4X3 format, before I became aware of the fact, plus, I also wanted to incorporate 'P-i-P' stuff shot in 1991, which was of historical interest but in 4X3 format.

In short, I used the graphics manipulation program GIMP for aspect-ratio conversion. This calls for short items of video to be processed at-a-time. The full 'GIMP' is needed, including the animation-module which splits sequences up into individual frames, then re-assembles them again after the changes have been effected. Sounds like a hell of a lot of work, and is, but it allows the 'impossible' to be achieved. Also with a bit of practice, you become better organised, and much faster at-it. Needless to say, you edit down the material first, so as to not have to convert footage which later won't be used.

I took the trouble of writing a 'tutorial' on the subject, since I belong to an active video-club. I failed to interest many in it, although it explains with great care and clarity what is needed, blow-by-blow as you do the button-pressing.

I have been involved, also, in an on-going documentary wildlife series. The first few excursions were filmed in 4X3 format, before I realised that 16:9 was plainly needed. GIMP was used, again, to crop the clips I wanted to use to 16:9, and then to reconstitute it all.

The full procedures are far too long-winded to go into here, but if you are still interested and care to contact me, I would be delighted to send you the full text of the article. My email is <artsmith@clear.net.nz>

Ian Smith, Dunedin, N.Z.

I'm converting sony minidvd vob files to mov files for editing on Final Cut, they're shot in 16x9 how do I keep that through the conversion process?

Thanks, Schooner

I am also having the same problem with video shot in 16:9. When it is downloaded and burnt to a DVD via everio sostware (at a max of 50 clips at a disk) it works fine. But when I convert the mod files with prism to edit in adobe premier elements I get disportinate sceens also. I have over a year worth of video to convert and edit so I need a solution that is faster than one frame at a time. It took me a year to find out what the problem with the mod files was. And the editing software that came with our recorder never worked for me. It is only since I stumbled onto a site explaining the mod problem that I got this far.

Pleas help

Scott