Express Scribe, Vista, and Codecs

TammieC

I am soooooo fed up :angry: I have been trying for over a year now to get Express Scribe to work on my laptop with Vista. Everytime I think I'm close, I get a message about a codec. I work for 2 people. One sends me DSS files as attachments to her e-mail and they load and run just fine on Express Scribe v4.23.

The other uses an FTP site and they are wav files. We are using DocShuttle. I finally got one file to load out of my assigned folder and the only place it would go to is my Windows Media Player, which will not work with the foot pedal. I finally got the file moved into Express Scribe but now I get this absolutely useless to me message regarding codec. I am a computer DUMBIE :blink: --BIG TIME....

My older laptop on which ExpressScribe (v4.05, i believe) is about to die on me only running in safe mode and I HAVE to get this working somehow. I spent the better part of the last 3-4 hours trying to figure this out and nothing has seemed to work thus far. I am now one day behind on my work.

HELP!!

Well, I'm almost there. I went to another web site for a different brand of player and THEY had a direct link to the codec.

now I just need to read some more messages and find out how to get the .dss files to load and I should be working..... I hope! ;)

find out how to get the .dss files to load and I should be working..... I hope! ;)

OOPS! They are .wav files and they are NOT loading from DSTranscriptionist to Express Scribe. I even removed and reloaded the Express Scribe program .... grrrrrrr

find out how to get the .dss files to load and I should be working..... I hope! ;)

OOPS! They are .wav files and they are NOT loading from DSTranscriptionist to Express Scribe. I even removed and reloaded the Express Scribe program .... grrrrrrr

Have you looked at Settings-> File Types... Check the boxes that apply. That's the first place I'd check.

• 1 month later...

I spent over $4000 on a new Sony Vaio desktop in order to replace my laptop, which I use for dictation medical typing work. The laptop runs on XP which I love, the new Sony on Vista. I have tried and tried and tried to get express scribe to run on this machine and it will not do it. I am not familiar with codes etc, but have tried to follow instructions on downloading the missing codecs - without success! I can download the file I require, push play but absolutely NO SOUND comes out at all. Can someone please help me as the store will not take the pc back now and it is jsut sitting vacant. Please advise of anything you think may assist me with this hgue dilemma. I am still using my laptop which is very slwo and on its last legs and I'm missing lots of work because of this.