Conversion of cda files to mp3

superguppy14

Hi - I can't load cda files into wavepad to convert them to mp3's - any ideas ? Is there a plug in available?

============================================

_I_ have an idea!!!

My idea is that a cda "file" is not a sound file at all. Rather, it is a "pointer" _to_ a .wav sound file on an audio disc. As such, The sound file which is being pointed to must be brought out of hiding, as it were, and exposed with its true file extension, which is .wav. Then, WavePad can be used to edit the .wav file which has been exposed (poor thing!) But WavePad cannot do this special exposing job. However, Switch can do this expose, as well as the conversion to mp3, in one single operation.

So my second idea is that you should download Switch, put your audio disc into the drive, and then drag one of those cda non-files from the audio disc into the Switch program window. Switch will accept this non-file without protest and show it in the window. Then go down to the bottom of the window and look at encoder settings to choose the mp3 parameters that you wish to use. For a regular audio disc (which I assume you are using as the source of your .cda non-file), you should choose a sampling rate of 44.1 khz and a bit rate of at least 128 kbps, which controls the amount of compression used in the mp3 process. Using a higher bit rate gets you a better sound quality but takes up more space in your chosen storage location. So pay your money and take your choice.

Locate the directory (folder) that you wish to use to store your mp3 file. Then press the Switch "convert" button.

If my idea is a good idea (and I suspect that it is), you should end up with an mp3 file (of that file on the audio disc which was hiding out) in the chosen directory :-).

Musikone

(been there, done that)