Beginners Questions....HELP!!!

captdenis

I am a beginner and had beginners luck. Actually recorded 2 songs on the first try. When I returned to the same program using the same equipment I can now no longer get the microphone to record. No VU meter any more and no record anymore.

I am sure that there are other beginners with their own sub-topics that need help.

I am a beginner and had beginners luck. Actually recorded 2 songs on the first try. When I returned to the same program using the same equipment I can now no longer get the microphone to record. No VU meter any more and no record anymore.

I am sure that there are other beginners with their own sub-topics that need help.

To give you a specific answer I'd need to know your operating system and whether or not you have an aftermarket sound card and/or a USB microphone. Assuming you're running Windows XP using your PC's integrated audio device and a standard (non-USB) mic, this procedure would probably apply:

Start > Control Panel > Sounds And Audio Devices

Click the "Audio" tab. Look in the "Sound Recording" box and make note of the default device. Assuming you don't have an

aftermarket sound card this will often be "SoundMAX Digital Audio".

Click the "Voice" tab. Make note of the default device in the "Voice Recording" box. Assuming you don't have an aftermarket

microphone (a USB microphone for example) this should match your setting from the "Audio" tab. If not, use the

dropdown to select the correct device.

Click the "Volume" Button in the "Voice Recording" box. When the Recording Control mixer appears make sure that the "Select"

box has a check mark and that the slider is at least halfway up.

Click the "Test Hardware" button and follow the prompts to complete the test.

Open WavePad and click the "Record" button. When the "Record Control" box appears, make sure the selected Recording Device is

"Defualt Sound In". If not, use the dropdown to select this.

You should now be able to record through your microphone in WavePad.

Re newbie advice, there are quite a few helpful tutorials that pertain to recording various types of audio on your computer. Google a search

string like "recording audio on your computer" and have a look through the results. Also read the WavePad help files.

Hope that helps :-)

Thank you so very much!!!

To give you a specific answer I'd need to know your operating system and whether or not you have an aftermarket sound card and/or a USB microphone. Assuming you're running Windows XP using your PC's integrated audio device and a standard (non-USB) mic, this procedure would probably apply:

Start > Control Panel > Sounds And Audio Devices

Click the "Audio" tab. Look in the "Sound Recording" box and make note of the default device. Assuming you don't have an

aftermarket sound card this will often be "SoundMAX Digital Audio".

Click the "Voice" tab. Make note of the default device in the "Voice Recording" box. Assuming you don't have an aftermarket

microphone (a USB microphone for example) this should match your setting from the "Audio" tab. If not, use the

dropdown to select the correct device.

Click the "Volume" Button in the "Voice Recording" box. When the Recording Control mixer appears make sure that the "Select"

box has a check mark and that the slider is at least halfway up.

Click the "Test Hardware" button and follow the prompts to complete the test.

Open WavePad and click the "Record" button. When the "Record Control" box appears, make sure the selected Recording Device is

"Defualt Sound In". If not, use the dropdown to select this.

You should now be able to record through your microphone in WavePad.

Re newbie advice, there are quite a few helpful tutorials that pertain to recording various types of audio on your computer. Google a search

string like "recording audio on your computer" and have a look through the results. Also read the WavePad help files.

Hope that helps :-)