IVM as a conference testing engine

phyberoptic

I'd like to use IVM as a tool to do automated testing of voice conferencing service. It needs to be able to outdial the conference bridge on two lines, and when answered provide DTMF responses to the conference prompts (I belive this part is easy). Once getting both lines into the same conference, I'd like to play a wav file from one line, and have it recognized by the other line to validate the bridge is up and providing valid service. then reverse the playing of the wav file from line two and having it recognized by line one. Is this possible with the out of the box functions in the application?

-=PO

Before I can answer your question, I'm going to need a better understanding of what exactly you're trying to accomplish.

From what I understand:

1) You are trying to interface IVM with an external conference system

2) You want IVM to automatically answer a series of IVR prompts to join a conference

3) You want IVM to join the conference on two separate lines and try and communicate between each line

So essentially what it boils down to is: you want IVM to periodically monitor a conference system and let you know if it's not working.

Is this correct?

If so, here is my basic idea for accomplishing this:

- Using IVM's built-in outbound dial list you can make outbound calls on command or automatically using the Windows Scheduler

- IVM can run an OGM when the call is answered on the other end. This OGM should pre programmed to play a sound file that contains pauses and DTMF sounds corresponding to the IVR menus presented by the conference system. (Best to use a stop-watch and manually respond to the IVR prompts first, and then recreate that in an Audio file).

*Note1: If you're unsure how to create a sound file with DTMF tones, try downloading Audacity. It is free of charge and has built-in features for creating DTMF tones and pauses

*Note2: You could also record a phone call with you answering the IVR prompts manually and then have IVM automatically play that when the call is answered (this is less likely to work due to quality loss from the recording)

This is where things get a bit tricky.

- Both lines should now be in the Conference call if all went well. The basic idea for verifying each line is in the conference is by having an OGM that plays a series of DTMF digits (e.g. 1 2 #) and then listens for a 2 digit response + # (using the data input method) from the other line. If the lines pick up the 2 digits + #, it confirms the other line is present and it should continue to play it's DTMF sound file for a few loops to make sure the other line picks it up. If it doesn't pick-up the digits, it should continue to loop (playing it's 2 digits + #, and then waiting for the response). If after several loops it still doesn't pick-up the other line, it could indicate a problem and you could then have IVM notify you (e.g. by running an external program, or playing a sound over the computer speakers).

I would imagine the loop would have to repeat several times before both lines could confirm/verify the other line's presence. The reason being that you could not guarantee each line would enter the conference at about the same time and be listening at the right time for the DTMF response. Thus looping will most likely be necessary so that even if both lines were off-timed by several seconds, there would be a period of time where it could successfully receive the digits from the other line.

I should also add I'm not 100% sure how well that set-up would work. I've never set-up a system like this before.

My concern is that one IVM line might actually receive the digits it sends out itself in the OGM audio. This would be a semi-disaster as IVM would just confirm with itself and not actually check if the other line is present. In order to fix this, there may have to be a 2 OGM loop. (1 OGM would play the digits to the other line, and then go to a second OGM that would listen for the input).