Wavepad

dbpow

I had wavepad on my old computer (XP), and it worked great. I now have a new computer with Vista, and I can't seem to get wavepad to record any audio. My input selections are limited to windows mixer and the master volume. I would think the sound card would be one, but it not even listed. Does anyone have any ideal on how to correct this problem

I'm a bit mystified by these sorts of posts as I'm using Vista x64 and have no difficulties whatsoever - normally x64 is unhappy with everything.

Aside from the usual rather lame suggestions like "check your soundcard", try turning off all the Record Control Options (under 'Advanced Control Settings') - Auto-Start, Auto-Trim, and Voice-Activation. This, at the very least, makes it easier to check whether the record-clock is running when testing.

I have noticed that the record button kind of "sticks" from time to time (rather like a real deck), so try clicking the 'Stop' button first, then 'Record'.

I'm using an Asus Xonar D2 sound card (the one with all the christmas lights), so any suggestions about what 'Device' to set would be impractical, though you could try setting the Device to Stereo Mix and the 'Input' to Windows Record Mixer. This records whatever is playing on the speakers at the time so it's easier to test.

And remember that you won't see a wave representation of the sound until you end the recording, so the clock-count is all you have to go by.

And just for the hell of it: Check your soundcard. :rolleyes: Drivers, cables, et cetera.

I'm a bit mystified by these sorts of posts as I'm using Vista x64 and have no difficulties whatsoever - normally x64 is unhappy with everything.

Aside from the usual rather lame suggestions like "check your soundcard", try turning off all the Record Control Options (under 'Advanced Control Settings') - Auto-Start, Auto-Trim, and Voice-Activation. This, at the very least, makes it easier to check whether the record-clock is running when testing.

I have noticed that the record button kind of "sticks" from time to time (rather like a real deck), so try clicking the 'Stop' button first, then 'Record'.

I'm using an Asus Xonar D2 sound card (the one with all the christmas lights), so any suggestions about what 'Device' to set would be impractical, though you could try setting the Device to Stereo Mix and the 'Input' to Windows Record Mixer. This records whatever is playing on the speakers at the time so it's easier to test.

And remember that you won't see a wave representation of the sound until you end the recording, so the clock-count is all you have to go by.

And just for the hell of it: Check your soundcard. :rolleyes: Drivers, cables, et cetera.

Thanks for the reply here....but I have tried setting the device to Stereo Mix and the Input to Windows record mixer....Nothing happens. I went into the sound car and check it out.....nothing. I wonder if it's a compatible issue with my sound card overall?

Most sound-card "compatibility" problems are with the more advanced issues like DTS, THX, optical x.1 and so on - most rudimentary tasks don't cause problems. If your sound-card works in Vista at all (plenty of irony here for Creative users) there really shouldn't be any conflict with one particular program - which leads me to think it's more of a driver issue. I know it sounds lame, but when in doubt try reinstalling them (proper Vista ones, not old XP variants)... or reinstalling Wavepad itself. If all else fails, try recording something through the less-user-friendly Audacity (if I'm allowed to mention the "competition") and see if that works.

It's all a matter of troubleshooting.

In the most blunt approach, uninstall the current sound drivers, reset the machine, and let Vista detect the hardware and search for the appropriate set by itself.

• 2 weeks later...

it I am posting this here in addition to posting it in the eye can't get wavepad to work on vista thread. I figure the more places I posted the quicker answer I will get it

I am having the same problem with my new Dell XPS M1330 laptop. I did not have any problem like this when I was using XP on my desktop. However this is my first laptop and I didn't really have anybody that I know to talk about what is necessary when purchasing one. I have windows vista home premium edition.

regardless on the recording devices I do not have a stereo mix option. I don't know why. Do I need to get an express slot soundcard? Will that even help. or a different driver. the problem seems to come when I'm trying to record streaming video sounds or when I am recording sounds off of the DVD. or any sound that I have already on my computer. The kind I do not need a microphone for. I don't want to have to get a double male plug to go from the stereo output to the microphone line in jack. I did not have this problem on my desktop. .I don't know if it is possible to get a internal sound card for this laptop. Wavepad is one of my more favorite programs. It works fine for editing and everything else, but if I can't get it to record on this new system........ mad.gif do I just need a separate program .I got this laptop for portability. And now to imagine that I have to carry speakers and headphones and extra gear around with me whenever I want to do recording is just a pain in the ass thought

any assistance to the new person on the block, as I have never used this forum before would be very appreciated.

edit: this is a refurbished system,it comes standard with high definition audio 2.0. Whatever the hell that means. I can get from Dell Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition. I believe that is only software and not hardware. Or do I need a different program altogether. As I want to get this up and working as soon as possible.

it's not converting or editing that is the problem. It is recording sounds directly from the computer without a microphone.

I am basically asking how can I do record what you hear

It's all a matter of troubleshooting.

In the most blunt approach, uninstall the current sound drivers, reset the machine, and let Vista detect the hardware and search for the appropriate set by itself.

A friend helped me using TeamViewer. He right-clicked on Volume Mixer, Recording Devices. (He is typing this message now and could not remember exactly how he did it). Now do a right-click inside that Recording Devices box that opens up. Check for it to Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices. See if Stereo Mix is disabled. If it is and you are wanting to record from the internet you do a left click on it and then click on Properties. You then enable that device. (Use this device - enable) As an extra precaution he then disabled all other recording devices.

Let us know if this worked or if this is just a special case for my computer, etc.

Paul