Wavepad won't record on Window Vista

brushcat1

I have used wavepad before on Windows XP system and it works fine. Bought new computer with Vista. Installed wavepad and tried to record sounds. After configuring record control; for Device it's set to default and for input, I have 2 choices, I have window record mixer or master volume setting. Tried using both settings and nothing happens when recording. I have no other choice to select from for input. This is what is causing my problem, can anyone help out or suggest other settings in Vista?

:rolleyes: To all my fellow brushies...I figured out that pesky problem with vista and wavepad. It's not a problem of compatability at all but a problem of simply enabling what shouldn't have been disabled in the first place. Yes, they will do such lame things to make us think a little bit but at the end it all will work itself out.

For those that didn't reply to my concerns, let me lend a helping hand. Here is the scoop on how I got mine to work.

Here is what you will need to do:

1. right click on speaker(volume) icon on bottom right of monitor(beside the clock)

2. select recording devices

3. right click on auxilary option

4. select show disable devices

5. with this selection, as you scroll down, there should appear another selection which says "stereo mix"

6. select this stereo mix and enable it...

7. then go back to wavepad to into your recording device and set it to "stereo mix"

Hope this helps.

Well spotted. Most likely the reason that is disabled initially on some Vista machines and not others is due to the fact that Vista seems to have great difficulty with some RealTek on-board "built-in" soundcard drivers. Could be worse. Could be Creative.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same problem with my new Dell XPS M1330 laptop. I did not have any problem like this when I was using XP on my desktop. However this is my first laptop and I didn't really have anybody that I know to talk about what is necessary when purchasing one. I have windows vista home premium edition.

regardless on the recording devices I do not have a stereo mix option. I don't know why. Do I need to get an express slot soundcard? Will that even help. or a different driver. the problem seems to come when I'm trying to record streaming video sounds or when I am recording sounds off of the DVD. or any sound that I have already on my computer. The kind I do not need a microphone for. I don't want to have to get a double male plug to go from the stereo output to the microphone line in jack. I did not have this problem on my desktop. .I don't know if it is possible to get a internal sound card for this laptop. Wavepad is one of my more favorite programs. It works fine for editing and everything else, but if I can't get it to record on this new system........ :angry: do I just need a separate program .I got this laptop for portability. And now to imagine that I have to carry speakers and headphones and extra gear around with me whenever I want to do recording is just a pain in the ass thought

any assistance to the new person on the block, as I have never used this forum before would be very appreciated.

edit: this is a refurbished system,it comes standard with high definition audio 2.0. Whatever the hell that means. I can get from Dell Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition. I believe that is only software and not hardware. Or do I need a different program altogether. As I want to get this up and working as soon as possible.

I am basically asking how can I do record what you hear