When I save, then close, then reopen the file, it's all staticky! Help!

dharmaworker

I'm making audio wav recordings of myself reading, and when I save the file, then go back in later and reopen it to work on it some more, it's all staticky! I can't get rid of the static, and it wasn't there when I closed the file! Can anyone help me? This is hours and hours of work, worth hundreds of dollars in income lost if I can't fix it! :(

The problem happens when I close the file. I can save it without any problems, but if I close it, then when I reopen it, it's all staticky. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the static? Is it my computer?? I can't understand why this would happen just from closing and then opening a file...

Sounds like you accepted the default settings when saving a .wav file - these, for some reason, can be 8-bit.

For decent enough quality you should be setting it manually (when saving) as PCM, 44.100kHz 16-bit Stereo 172kb/sec

Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to convert them "up" if indeed you did use the lower quality.

Your file might be repairable. If you can upsample from 8 to 16 bit, you could then apply some hiss reduction to the file. Resaving an 8 bit file back to 8 bit, increments the static. Convert to 16 bit and once the file has been cleaned the best that it can then resave the file.