Express Scribe suddenly stopped working!

itsonlydanny

Hi,

I've had quite an odd experience with DSS voice files all of a sudden. For years now I've been downloading DSS files from the same site, using Olympus Player Lite to play them (obviously!). Then, of a sudden, it would not open up and play any of my DSS files - old or new - just giving me the message: "Could not read XXX.DSS.". So, in order to play my DSS files I had to open up Olympus, go to File>Open and then browse in Windows Explorer to each individual file - which, as you can imagine, is a slight pain in the ass.

So I rushed off to Goggle and downloaded Express Scribe. Initially, it seemed great - everything working perfectly. But then I made the tragic mistake of mucking about with the 'Special Audio Processes' - oh dear. The voice files now sounded terrible, and I couldn't 'Undo' the process. So, quite logically - or so I thought - I just uninstalled & reinstalled Scribe. And ever since then - nothing! I cannot play any DSS files at all - you just load them up, press Play and absolutely nothing happens.

Yes, I tried installing loads of different/older versions of Scribe - nothing. Yes, I've tried putting Dss.dll(s) and dss.exe(s) in the relevant folders - nothing. Yes, I've run near countless registry cleaners, scrubbers, washers, etc - nothing.

Any idea what is going on :huh: ? By the way, I am using Windows XP Home here. By all accounts, the situation is even worse on Vista! Also, here are my specs:

XP Home+Vista Ultimate (32 bit) \ AMD64 X2 4200+ \ 4 X 512 DDR (400mhz) \ BFG 7900GS OC 256mb \ Soundblaster Audigy SE \ 2 X SATA+1 X IDE ATA HDD (=520g) \ Thermaltake TWV 430w \ Speedtouch 510 v6

EDIT: I flipped over to Vista and - rather ironically - Scribe works perfectly there. So if I want to hear DSS files, it has to be Vista for me!