Trouble opening Flac files and converting them to mp3

Zekeneal

Hi,

I need help! I cannot open Flac files with WavePad. I am trying to convert them to mp3's and they will start to process when I try to open them and then it stops. I have loaded Flacdec and tested it with the sample flac file from the website. Nothing works. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Try using Switch and see if this works.

=====================================================

The information provided in the WavePad web page states:

"Supports a number of file formats including wav (multiple codecs), mp3, vox, gsm, real audio, au, aif, FLAC (emphasis mine), ogg, and many more."

My purchased version of WavePad (WavePad Master's version 3.05) does NOT open a flac file, nor does it do so if "flacdec" is installed form the NCH Swift Sound components page. Of course, it cannot be expected that installing flacdec would correct the problem, since there is no WavePad prompt to install this particular plug-in when an attempt is made to open a flac file.

Hence it is quite clear that WavePad makes at least one claim in its advertising literature which is not supported by the flac facts, and which has not been supported by these facts for a very long time. In my opinion, the time is long past either to (1) reprogram WavePad in order to make it conform with this advertised claim, or (2) delete this particular claim from the advertising literature.

I find your answer to the poster's question to be incredible! You are suggesting to an individual who is only asking that WavePad live up to its advertised claim is to _purchase another piece of NCH software to do the advertised job? You are an NCH employee who is now a "Professional" poster in this forum, which means only that you have posted here enough times to earn this particular forum degree. Is yours the NCH "official" answer to this poster's question? Or are you a loose cannon here in this forum, just trying to be helpful but acting without official sanction?

I will save the questioner some time and effort. He/she need not try Switch; an excellent program, it does indeed convert flac files--and very well, at that. However, you seem to have missed the point; your answer is IRRELEVANT!

Conclusion

Perhaps the individual who asked this question should re-phrase it as follows:

"Does anyone know of some sound editing software that _does_ load a flac file (i.e., decompress it to a .wav file as usual), and then permit the resulting edited file(s) to be saved in the flac format?" Phrasing the question in this manner might well have elicited a different response from some knowledgeable individual in this forum :-)

Musikone

Zekeneal wishes to convert the flac files to mp3s, this is the purpose of Switch which is why I suggested they try it.

===========================================

His desire to use WavePad for converting from one file format to another has nothing to do with the deplorable fact that WavePad cannot do what it claims: open (decode) a flac file and save edited clips as mp3 files! The fact that Switch _can_ do this is irrelevant.

Suppose that Zekeneal had posted a complaint that he was unable to open a flac file and save the edited clips as flac files, a task which WavePad claims that it is able to do? What would you have advised him to do in _this_ case, when you would be able to come up with the "Switch" defense?

Nothing! My answer would still be the same, however: WavePad does not do what it claims to be able to do.

Musikone

(things are not always what they appear to be in the Land of Oz!)

MusikOne, Whether or not WavePad performs the task GB has offered a solution that works.

The developers were not aware of the issue with WavePad and now that they are should GB not offer a way to perform the task while the developers fix it?

Anyway this does seem to be an issue with the software, which we will work to rectify, and in the mean time Switch should be a sufficient solution.

MusikOne, Whether or not WavePad performs the task GB has offered a solution that works.

The developers were not aware of the issue with WavePad and now that they are should GB not offer a way to perform the task while the developers fix it?

Anyway this does seem to be an issue with the software, which we will work to rectify, and in the mean time Switch should be a sufficient solution.

Thank you for your concerned input that I use Switch while waiting for the Program designers to fix their mistake. I find that response to be short-sighted. The fact remains that I purchased the program so as to be able to batch convert FLAC files to MP3s. I cannot perform this batch function in Switch. If I were able to batch convert in Switch and the program were provided to me free of charge as a method of atoning for the agregious false advertisement, then I would be satisfied that NCH software was doing all it could to remedy this situation. Basically, Wavepad was working fine for me as a single file conversion program (though not for FLAC files) prior to my purchasing it. I purchased it so as to be able to use the Batch conversion option and to have it work on FLAC files. The batch option works great but not on FLAC files. I don't think that any of the users whose displeasure I have read in this forum are out of line in asking for a program that does what it is advertised to do.

Fine, I fixed the problem myself. Please be aware that this a modified version of WavePad and does not come with any guarantees/warranty or anything else, and is definitely not supported by NCH! You can get it (at your own risk) here: www.fish4files.com/download.php?fil...634c53f335bf3f0. Simply copy the file into your existing WavePad installation directory (C:\Program Files\NCH Swift Sound\WavePad\), firstly making sure you backup your existing non-modified wavepad.exe! Also make sure you have installed flacdec and flacenc, from www.nch.com.au/components.

Happy flac'ing!