Taped dictation

Mickey

I am new to this forum and a little new to online dictation. I use have been using Epress Scribe and like it just fine. I now have an account which would cause me to drive a distance to pick up dictation tapes. Is there a way to transfer the dictation tapes to the Express Scribe? Just thought if there was a way I could possibly teach my employer about it and save time traveling.

Thanks,

Mickey

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Susan
I am new to this forum and a little new to online dictation.  I use have been using Epress Scribe and like it just fine.  I now have an account which would cause me to drive a distance to pick up dictation tapes.  Is there a way to transfer the dictation tapes to the Express Scribe? Just thought if there was a way I could  possibly teach my employer about it and save time traveling.

Thanks,

Mickey

If this is a client who is going to be sending you a lot of work, you might want to purchase a copy of the Express Dictate for their computer (their own license) or a small handheld digital voice recorder. They can digitally rerecord from a micro cassette to a digital recorder by buying a mono cable at Radio Shack for about $3.75. Plug the one into the digital recorder's microphone jack, and the other in the cassette player's headphone jack. They should be able to then use their digital software that came with the recorder to upload it to their computer and email it to you (small files). Larger files would have to be saved in a compressed format. Rather than having to transfer from cassette to digital and then upload, they'll find it a whole lot easier to simply go the Express Dictate route and email it to you. Though I don't know if the Express Dictate saves the files compressed enough to be emailed.

I have an FTP site that my clients upload large digital files, sometimes as long as 8-10 hours, as compressed .dss files. I then download them on my side, transcribe them and email the transcripts back. I set password protected files for each client with restricted access for each file. Then all I have to do is open my Express Scribe, load the file, and type away. I toyed with the Express Dictate just a bit to see how it functioned and found it very nice to use, but I'm no expert on it. I like my handheld best because it travels with me everywhere.

Once your clients get used to using their computer for direct dictation and the flexibility it gives them to make copies, not have to rewind/fast forward tapes, or even make a run for batteries, they'll send their tape recorders to the round file for good. Just a recommendation.