Golden Records won't record certain Frequencies(vinyl)

MolokoPlus

I recently tried using golden records to convert my lps to mp3. This particular Lp i'm trying to convert has very low volume acoustic guitaring at the start of the first song. I don't think it's recording it correctly because during the playback it fades in and out. It's really hard to explain actually. Anyways Can this be fixed? Is anyone getting the same problem? I tried adjusting the noise floor level but that did nothing. When I record on wavepad it records it perfectly but the volume is too low(in general). Please help me! Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I recently tried using golden records to convert my lps to mp3. This particular Lp i'm trying to convert has very low volume acoustic guitaring at the start of the first song. I don't think it's recording it correctly because during the playback it fades in and out. It's really hard to explain actually. Anyways Can this be fixed? Is anyone getting the same problem? I tried adjusting the noise floor level but that did nothing. When I record on wavepad it records it perfectly but the volume is too low(in general). Please help me! Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

==========================================

Where (i.e., what type of hardware) is the signal coming from that you are feeding into your computer, so that it may be recorded using Golden Records?

Musikone

It's coming from a phono pre amp and then connected to the line in input.

=====================================

My guess is that the output signal from the phono preamp is too small to provide a satisfactory input level at the line input to your computer's sound card. The first thing that you should do is turn up the _recording_ volume level on your sound card to the maximum position. On a windows PC, there is an icon for this control in the task bar. Double-click on this icon, which brings up a sound-card dialogue box for "play." Click on "options," then on "properties," and check "Recording." Make sure that you also have "line input" checked. Now click OK and (at long last!) you will be presented with a "Recording" dialogue box. Set the volume level control to the top of the scale.

You now have your sound card's line input set to the maximum amount of input signal amplification. If this adjustment still does not give you a satisfacory sound level in your recording, you will have to use additional amplification between the output of your phono preamp and the input to your sound card :-( Either this or purchase a different phono preamp.

This is a fairly common type of problem, which results from a combination of the particular LP recording and the hardware that you are using to process the signal output from your phono turntable. Hopefully, readjusting the volume level control on your sound card will fix the problem. But if it does not, then good luck!

But don't blame Golden Records. It is a good program. I purchased it some time ago and used it successfully over a short period of time. However, I have now switched to a comprehensive piece of software which will record both internet online streams and input signals from a phono preamp, although not simultaneously. So if I want to do what you are doing, I can use this newer program, which I am now using regularly for recording internet streams. So this is why I am no longer using Golden Records; not that I find anything wrong with this program, which is simple, to the point, and has a nice user interface.

Musikone

If i turn up the recording level I think it will be too loud and distorted for a good recording. When I record in wavepad, the low level acoustic guitarting comes out perfectly. I think i'll just end up buying a new pre amp. Do you have any recommendations? Also, what other program do you use for recording vinyl?

If i turn up the recording level I think it will be too loud and distorted for a good recording. When I record in wavepad, the low level acoustic guitarting comes out perfectly. I think i'll just end up buying a new pre amp. Do you have any recommendations? Also, what other program do you use for recording vinyl?

=========================================================

You say that you "think" that the recording will be too loud and distorted. Have you actually checked this out to see whether this is true? Whatever it may mean.... You see, too "loud" and too "distorted" are entirely different things. You don't see this now, but I believe that you will eventually if you continue your recording efforts. Read on.

Of course, if the sound on the record is very soft in one part and very loud in another part, then you are going to have to be _very_ careful to adjust the recording level to the maximum possible without distorting the loudest parts. This is the "secret" to good recording technique. There are no ifs, ands, or buts in this. The level at which distortion sets in perceptibly is well-established in the music business, and _you_ have to learn how to find this level and adjust accordingly in order to avoid a distorted recording, or alternately, to avoid a recording in which the softest part is barely audible.

In other words, you have to learn how to use the recording level indicator which comes with your recording program, whether it is WavePad or Golden Records or whatever. If you can get a decent recording (distortion-wise) with WavePad, there is no reason at all why you cannot a decent recording (distortion-wise) with Golden Records.

Buying another preamplifier will NOT solve this particular problem for you! Only if the loudest parts of your recordings do not reach the maximum permissible recording level do you need to look for another preamplifier. In other words, if that volume level indicator in your recording program (whatever its name) does not reach into that red, distorted area during the loudest parts when you have all volume controls turned to maximum, then you need additional amplification.

This being said, I cannot teach you the basics of recording with an analogue signal sent to your sound card. These things are discussed elsewhere at great length. This forum is about using one particular program (WavePad) to apply those techniques which are universal, across-the-board, for all recording programs.

This being said, it will serve no purpose for me to tell you the program that I am now using for this type of recording. You are looking in the wrong place for a solution to your recording problem!

Musikone

I have successfully recorded about 10 of my 12" lps to my computer with wavepad, so i'm not a complete novice when it comes to this. That was about a year ago though and I don't think golden records was even out then. I recently purchased a new sound card and I wanted to convert the rest of my collection so I downloaded wavepad again because I had reformatted my computer. I downloaded it and I stumbled upon golden records so I thought I'd give it a try since it was meant for recording vinyl specifically. But this low volume thing kept happening. I was just simply asking for advice on this, and while I have not tried increasing the line in volume with Golden Records, I have tried it with Wavepad and the outcome was very distorted and not clean at all. I'll give it a try with Golden records though, hopefully something will be different. And as for the pre amp, you were the one who suggested purchasing a new one, so I was just asking if you knew a quality one.

I have successfully recorded about 10 of my 12" lps to my computer with wavepad, so i'm not a complete novice when it comes to this. That was about a year ago though and I don't think golden records was even out then. I recently purchased a new sound card and I wanted to convert the rest of my collection so I downloaded wavepad again because I had reformatted my computer. I downloaded it and I stumbled upon golden records so I thought I'd give it a try since it was meant for recording vinyl specifically.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not necessarily. Golden Records will work generally with an analog sound signal from any source, such as from a cassette deck or an FM tuner.

But this low volume thing kept happening. I was just simply asking for advice on this, and while I have not tried increasing the line in volume with Golden Records, I have tried it with Wavepad and the outcome was very distorted and not clean at all.

As I tried to explain, this is not a matter of simply increasing the line-input volume level. Rather, it is a matter of increasing the input volume to a level such as the _loudest part of the record_ just reaches into the red ("over") zone on your recording level meter--no matter which program you are using for recording. Once again, you have to learn how to use and interpret what you are seeing when you monitor this volume level throughout the recording session. In this regard, I believe that the volume level indicator with Golden Records is superior to, and easier to use, than the volume level indicator with WavePad. In any case, you _must_ be prepared to readjust this level (but not during the recording unless you are very skilled at this!) to that level which I referred to above.

I'll give it a try with Golden records though, hopefully something will be different. And as for the pre amp, you were the one who suggested purchasing a new one, so I was just asking if you knew a quality one. You did not read what I said correctly. What I suggested was that, _if the loudest part of your record was not sufficient to get you into the red zone of your recording level indicator_, this is an indication that you need more amplification. Of course, it does not hurt if you have an excess amplification available; you can always turn down the volume. But whether or not you _need_ more amplification is determined by the considerations which I explained above.

Although I have not recently read what is in the help file for WavePad recording or in the help file for recording with Golden Records, I would urge that you go through both of these files and read what they have to say about recording level adjustment! Admittedly, this is not the easiest task in the world, and much effort is devoted in the recording world to getting this level right. Too high, then distortion sets in; too low, then the weakest parts of the sound get lost in the mud.

It takes practice, so keep trying--and reading--and trying some more--and reading some more, and.......

Musikone

I have successfully recorded about 10 of my 12" lps to my computer with wavepad, so i'm not a complete novice when it comes to this. That was about a year ago though and I don't think golden records was even out then. I recently purchased a new sound card and I wanted to convert the rest of my collection so I downloaded wavepad again because I had reformatted my computer. I downloaded it and I stumbled upon golden records so I thought I'd give it a try since it was meant for recording vinyl specifically.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not necessarily. Golden Records will work generally with an analog sound signal from any source, such as from a cassette deck or an FM tuner.

But this low volume thing kept happening. I was just simply asking for advice on this, and while I have not tried increasing the line in volume with Golden Records, I have tried it with Wavepad and the outcome was very distorted and not clean at all.

As I tried to explain, this is not a matter of simply increasing the line-input volume level. Rather, it is a matter of increasing the input volume to a level such as the _loudest part of the record_ just reaches into the red ("over") zone on your recording level meter--no matter which program you are using for recording. Once again, you have to learn how to use and interpret what you are seeing when you monitor this volume level throughout the recording session. In this regard, I believe that the volume level indicator with Golden Records is superior to, and easier to use, than the volume level indicator with WavePad. In any case, you _must_ be prepared to readjust this level (but not during the recording unless you are very skilled at this!) to that level which I referred to above.

I'll give it a try with Golden records though, hopefully something will be different. And as for the pre amp, you were the one who suggested purchasing a new one, so I was just asking if you knew a quality one. You did not read what I said correctly. What I suggested was that, _if the loudest part of your record was not sufficient to get you into the red zone of your recording level indicator_, this is an indication that you need more amplification. Of course, it does not hurt if you have an excess amplification available; you can always turn down the volume. But whether or not you _need_ more amplification is determined by the considerations which I explained above.

Although I have not recently read what is in the help file for WavePad recording or in the help file for recording with Golden Records, I would urge that you go through both of these files and read what they have to say about recording level adjustment! Admittedly, this is not the easiest task in the world, and much effort is devoted in the recording world to getting this level right. Too high, then distortion sets in; too low, then the weakest parts of the sound get lost in the mud.

It takes practice, so keep trying--and reading--and trying some more--and reading some more, and.......

Musikone