wavepad won't open anything

merrydeathstar

I am trying to make a huge audio file into smaller ones to copy onto multiple cds so that the text is cut when I want it to be, not in the middle of a word. I used to use cool edit pro for this but I have a new computer and I couldn't find the cool edit pro program to install so I am trying the free version of wavepad. I installed everything but I can't get anything to open. I've tried dragging, copying from cd, dvd, opening from my desktop, nothing works. I even made wavepad the default audio player and that hasn't even helped. Am I missing some important step? Is there some program I need to download that I haven't? Am I just too stupid to be let near a computer? Please help, my daughter is making me nuts with the "Where are my Harry Potter cds mommy? You promised I could listen to them tonight" chanting.

Thanks

Meredith

What type of file are you attempting to open? You should just be able to use the File -> Open menu item for this... unless it is an unsupported filetype, but then WavePad should have reported a problem. Does anything flash on the screen briefly when you attempt to open one of the audio files? You could try converting them with Switch and see if it's able to read the files.

Just as a side comment: instead of having to burn the entire Harry Potter audio book, you could just invest in an mp3 player and use this :) You could probably pick one up for the price of 20 blank CDs...