switch

h.boers

I'm trying to convert cda files to mp3. When I click convert, the progress bar flashes for about a tenth of a second and nothing else happens - the files do not convert , so me too.

What's the reason why Switch dosn't recognise *.cda-files.

======================================

How can it "recognise" (I say "recognize") a .cda file when this file is NOT (repeat: NOT) an audio sound file?

Switch will convert an AUDIO SOUND FILE from one format to another format. Period. Hence Switch cannot "convert" a .cda file, which is a pointer (do you know what this means?) to an audio sound file, even though such a "conversion" will be listed, for the sake of brevity. What Switch can do, however, is flush out that sound file from its hiding place on an audio CD and convert _it_ to whatever format the user desires. This process is commonly referred to as "extraction," and the sound file that normally results from this pseudo-conversion is a .wav file.

In other words, in order to "convert" these .cda pointers to honest-to-goodness sound files, you have to take the audio CD containing both these hidden sound files and the visible .cda pointers that you see in Windows Explorer when you put this disc into a disc drive, and copy (drag) the .cda pointers into the Switch program window; after which you can work with them _as though_ they were genuine sound files. Just drag those .cda pointers to the Switch window, making sure to leave the audio CD in the disc drive. Set your output destination folder, set your desired attributes and click the Switch convert button. The .cda files displayed in the Switch window will now "convert" the associated, hidden sound files to whatever format.

Although you may not recognise it, I just presented you with the WHY which underlies the HOW of what you must to do to "convert" .cda files using Switch. If you can use such information to further your understanding, then well and good. If you cannot, then simply follow the HOW instructions, which I gave to another poster who asked the very same question that you did in a recent thread! Identical questions are all too common here, often due to the dearth of understanding and the resulting continuing confusion which obfuscates the underlying principles. Now I will get off my soapbox :-)

Any other questions?

Musikone