WMA format in Wavepad

freddo

How do I save a file in WMA format. I have the Master edition of Wavepad but cannot find this format?

Hi freddo. I am just starting with WavePad and was frustrated with this too. Saving as a WAV file means its about 7x bigger! Not cool when I have around a thousand songs I need to deal with.

They (NCH) claim that WMA is a proprietary Microsoft format and so they CAN'T output to that. That's what the FAQ says. And yet, the Switch program apparently will convert files from WAV to WMA. Go figure!

Anyway, I was reading another message board where someone said that every time you open and resave a WMA file you can loose a little sound quality, so it may be better (but more work) to come along later and use Switch to convert all the files when you are done editing a directory.

When WavePad was released it wasn't possible to save as a WMA file (the process was still in development). Since then, this ability has been realised and has been included in our newer/updated programs. This feature will be introduced into WavePad when it next undergoes its update cycle.

However as bobbyraw mentioned, it is preferable to keep your working audio files in WAV format and convert the final product to your compressed audio of choice once it's completed.