Please Forgive My Inexperience

BBlueize

Two questions.

1.) I'm buying my husband an MP3 player for Christmas and it can fit twice as many wma files on it as mp3. All the files we have are mp3 so I'd like to convert them to wma. I believe this program will take care of that but will it do it in the free version? I don't want to install it for nothing.

2.) I see a couple posts from people who can't seem to uninstall it. I also have Windows XP Home (with the Service Pack 2 installed). Will I have trouble uninstalling it if need be? (I know how to uninstall programs through the control panel but will it be there?) I really only need to change these music files for my husband's MP3 player so I doubt I'll need to keep the free program or pay for one.

Thanks for your help.

Two questions.

1.) I'm buying my husband an MP3 player for Christmas and it can fit twice as many wma files on it as mp3. All the files we have are mp3 so I'd like to convert them to wma. I believe this program will take care of that but will it do it in the free version? I don't want to install it for nothing.

2.) I see a couple posts from people who can't seem to uninstall it. I also have Windows XP Home (with the Service Pack 2 installed). Will I have trouble uninstalling it if need be? (I know how to uninstall programs through the control panel but will it be there?) I really only need to change these music files for my husband's MP3 player so I doubt I'll need to keep the free program or pay for one.

Thanks for your help.

==========================

What is there to forgive? As far as I know, no one in this forum was born with a knowledge of computers, although we occasionally run across one who thinks that he was :-)

There is currently a thread posted here entitled "isn't Switch free?". You will find the answer to your question 1.) in this thread right from the horse's mouth: a knowledgeable employee of NCH.

The answer to 2.) is that it is virtually certain that you can uninstall Switch with Windows XP Home. I have Windows XP Pro (which does not differ from XP Home in this regard) and it easily uninstalls Switch. Just make sure that you do not delete or transfer any component files of the installed program, since this will upset the uninstall process. That should do it. Ignore those who say otherwise!

Musikone

• 2 weeks later...

Just a comment on why you're converting your music to wma... The statement "it can fit twice as many wma files on it as mp3" leads me to believe that you're assuming the mp3 player can only fit a specific number of files, but this is incorrect. MP3 players come in different sizes of storage (mega/gigabytes) and the number of files they store is only dependant on the size of the file. If you have the same size mp3 and wma files then you will be only able to store the exact same amount of both kinds.

The "it can fit twice as many wma files on it as mp3" statement is often used to try convince people that wma as a half decent audio file. In order for this statement to be 'true' you will need to encode your wma files to a lower bitrate (and hence worse quality). So would you rather a lot of bad quality audio files, or some good quality ones.

You can also encode your mp3 files to a lower bitrate and achieve the exact same result, so a "it can fit twice as many mp3 files on it as wma" statement can be made for this. The only reason you don't see these around is because mp3 doesn't have a multi-billion dollar corporation funding its media campaign.

When it comes down to it, I would much prefer the mp3 format over the wma one simply because of the copy protection (which causes soo much hassle) that can be placed into wma files.