Voipwise

LjohnB

My Sip provider, Voipwise is offering free phone calls to UK landlines, which is correct when I use their softphone. When I place the same call through Express Talk I get charged. Any ideas how I can configure Express Talk to take advantage of the free calls.

Have you asked them if it's possible to use another softphone with this service? What about another hardware IP phone?

Thanks for responding so quickly. Voipwise have not responded to my questions (and I don't think they will), and I don't think my handset is the problem, as I get the same results with my headset.

The SIP messages sent from your computer's softphone to the VoIPwise server also contain information about what type of software is being used on the client (i.e. your) end, meaning it would not be difficult for them to set the system up so the free calls offer only applies to their softphone. There is no mistaking that they are intentionally trying to do this, and you probably won't be able to get the free calls offer with any other software even if you do ask their support team.

The only way in which I can see "beating the system" if you will, is to modify Express Talk so that it sends out SIP messages under the software name of the VoIPwise softphone.

Firstly there are many problems with this:

1) I am quite sure that NCH is not going to do this for you (for various reasons, including possible legal implications)

2) There is no guarantee it would work, this is only one of the ways in which VoIPwise could be using to determine if the user is using their softphone (another way they may be able to do this is via additional TC/IP messages sent between the client and server that are separate from the SIP communications).

3) Any attempt to modify the software yourself (e.g. using decompilers, resource editors, hex editors, etc.) in anyway will surely go against NCH's terms of conditions / use agreement.