Line in volume too high

halfbit

All inputs using line in are too high even with volume set to minimum on slider controls. This results in distorted sound for dynamic or loud sections.

Is there any way to reduce input levels further ?

============================================================

Where is your "extra-loud" signal coming from?

Answer this question and I may (no guarantees) be able to help you.

But sit around here with your mouth closed and I certainly will not be able to help :-)

You see, I know this territory; I've been here before......

Musikone

All inputs, cd direct or through DACs [ Pink Triangle or Kinshaw perception] , Line in from phono preamp [ Kinshaw Perception or Counterpoint SA3000 phono stage ] through a pre-amp [Celestion or TagMclaren or Alchemist Freya ]supply a volume that makes the recording control in wavepad go into the red frequently even set to minimum.

All other inputs muted, line at zero except for playback.

When recording on cassette or mini-disk the input volume can be reduced to the point where peak levels hover around 0dB.

I have been told that in-line attenuators would work but are likely to reduce fidelity [ Rothwell RCA ]. I will go this route if everything else fails.

Like many others before me all I am trying to do is commit Vinyl to PC and de-click etc. I consider that this is such a time consuming task that I want the best results. I would not consider any format other than WAV at the highest possible fiselityon the PC.

I am not aware of any soundcards with adjustable line sensitivity.

Many thanks for your reply

All inputs, cd direct or through DACs [ Pink Triangle or Kinshaw perception] , Line in from phono preamp [ Kinshaw Perception or Counterpoint SA3000 phono stage ] through a pre-amp [Celestion or TagMclaren or Alchemist Freya ]supply a volume that makes the recording control in wavepad go into the red frequently even set to minimum.

All other inputs muted, line at zero except for playback.

When recording on cassette or mini-disk the input volume can be reduced to the point where peak levels hover around 0dB.

I have been told that in-line attenuators would work but are likely to reduce fidelity [ Rothwell RCA ]. I will go this route if everything else fails.

Like many others before me all I am trying to do is commit Vinyl to PC and de-click etc. I consider that this is such a time consuming task that I want the best results. I would not consider any format other than WAV at the highest possible fiselityon the PC.

I am not aware of any soundcards with adjustable line sensitivity.

Many thanks for your reply

==============================================================================

I very well understand what you are trying to do, and am quite familiar with all of the steps which are involved in the process, from the record grooves to digital sound files (that you can then manipulate with WavePad, Switch, etc.)

But I seem to be missing something here. Are you saying that the phono preamplifier which you are using to provide the (excessively high) line input to your sound card _has NO volume control_? I find this very hard to believe.

Even so, I am willing to listen to your explanation.

To my way of thinking, it should be just about the easiest thing on this planet to _attenuate_ an audio frequency signal without noticeably degrading the signal quality (both in distortion and frequency response). I don't know where you got your information about signal deterioration from an attenuator. This (simplicity) is of course not the case with amplification, which is an entirely different matter. Although I have not searched the internet for (basic) audio attenuators, it seems to me that there should be any number of them available, over a wide price range. However, I can see no need for paying any significant amount for such a device, provided that you are not seeking to "mix" two or more signals within a single channel.

At the risk of repetition--I must be missing something here.........

Musikone