Switch corrupting Mac hard drives

Uniquark

I'm running the current version of Switch on a MacBook Pro with 10.4.10 and 2GB of RAM. It seems to run fine as long as I give it the whole computer, but if I try to work in other applications while it is doing a conversion, it causes some very subtle corruption in the file system. I'm converting a WMA file to WAV. The other application I have noticed this in is Eudora 6.2.4. The symptoms are that Eudora reports an error -36 when trying to move messages to other mailboxes or when launching. Additionally, even after Switch is no longer running and I have restarted the computer, the Finder will report an error -36 when trying to copy files to the drive. These first two are probably related. Finally, although converting the 40-minute WMA file took the expected amount of time, the output file had only about 5 minutes of sound followed by what sounded like the rest of the file run at 32x and compressed to about a minute.

Disk Utility is not able to repair or even detect the corruption. It reports that all disks are fine. Fortunately, it appears that I can copy the data off the drive without the corruption.

Has anyone else experienced these problems? Do you have a solution? At this point, I don't dare use Switch again.