Changing the working directory

laiti

Hi,

I cannot find any setting to change the working directory of Express Scribe. By default it is C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\NCH Swift Sound\Scribe

The problem here is that I don’t have very much free disk space in my C: drive and the temporary .wav files Scribe uses are rather big. Windows keeps on complaining about the full C: drive.

I have also tried to search the Windows register for this settings without any success.

You cannot change the temporary folder used for recordings. Try cleaning up some of your other temporary files and see if that clears some space.

Hi,

I cannot find any setting to change the working directory of Express Scribe. By default it is C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\NCH Swift Sound\Scribe

The problem here is that I don't have very much free disk space in my C: drive and the temporary .wav files Scribe uses are rather big. Windows keeps on complaining about the full C: drive.

I have also tried to search the Windows register for this settings without any success.

There are two (maybe 3) things you can do, to clean up big files on your hdd: 1) with respect to Scribe, in the C:\documents and settings\...\scribe\current folder are your wav files, which you can delete completely either by going in there any manually deleting them, or from the ExpressScribe window, highlight the files you're done with and use CTRL Delete.

2) If your Windows System Restore is enabled, even if the settings are very low, it will tend to create restore files that are extremely large, several GB. If you're not downloading lots of programs or similarly doing busy work that might require a system restore, then create a restore point, and reset System Restore, which will wipe out all previous restore points and their files. Be sure that's what you want to do, but often it's no problem.

3) Similarly, with Norton Internet Security and SystemWorks and especially if you have big files, such as some of the Express Scribe wav files, Norton has a hidden recovery file on the HDD called NProtect. If you right click on your Recycle Bin and click "Empty Norton Protected Files" you will have a choice of purging all protected files, just yours, or canceling. If you're not sure, you have to show the NProtect folder, see what's there, and manually delete the ones you're not concerned about recovering, which may include older ExpressScribe wav files.

It's possible other security companies than Symantec/Norton have similar features.

Well, in my Windows installation there simply isn’t enough free space on C: since I try to keep only Windows and program files there and use other drives as a storage for bigger files. There simply is no way to get enough free space in C:, system restore is already disabled.

Does anyone know if there is a possibility of linking a folder in D: to C: so that it is invisible to programs (like symlinking in UNIX systems)?

<big cry>In my opinion it is a _big_ design flaw if a program writes huge temporary files without an option to configure where to write those to. It makes the program completely useless for me and many others.</big cry>

• 1 month later...
You cannot change the temporary folder used for recordings. Try cleaning up some of your other temporary files and see if that clears some space.

We are working in a Windows roaming profile environment, and the default (and unchangeable directory--with all of the spooled wav files) is part of the roaming profile, thus forcing the system to upload 1G worth of data everytime they login and logout. Are there no registry changes / modifications which could be used to force a redirection of this file? I'm just looking for a happy solution here. Any suggestions would surely be appreciated.