Switch Does Not Convert .wav file to .wma file ?

I purchased software & hardware (Inport Deluxe) to copy all my old Cassette Tapes onto my PC Hard Drive and make CD's.

Each Cassette Tape is copied as one large .wav file, then I break the large .wav file down into song tracks that are smaller .wav files. I Purchased Switch to convert these large song track .wav files into smaller .wma files to stored on my hard drive and used by the Windows Media Player. I am running Windows-XP (SP-2). Every file I try to convert with Switch gives me the same Error Message = "This file could not be converted and saved to the specified output format because either the output format requires a plugin that is not installed or you do not have write permission to that folder". Question is = What is the plugin that is not installed? I can not find anything about this anywhere in Switch Help or Forums and needless to say there is no one to talk to about this without paying more money!

Thanks For The Information,

I downloaded the Wmawav component that you suggested from "http://www.nch.com.au/components/wmawav.exe"

And

I am using Switch Plus Version 1.22 (Paid Version)

But

I am still getting the same error message, when I try to convert .wav files to .wma files.

==========================================================================

I just installed this wmawav plugin with my licensed Switch Plus software, in order to see whether this long-standing problem had perhaps finally been fixed. I then opened the Switch program to test this out by converting one of my .wav files to a .wma file, which we are led to believe _should_ be possible with this "component".

However, when I pulled down the dropdown menu for the output format, at the bottom of the Switch window, the wma format was _not_ even listed! So, unless there is something that I am missing here, the answer is still: NO, Switch cannot convert from the wav format to the wma format, which has not been the case for as long as I can remember, which is at least a couple of years.

Incidentally, I am using Windows XP, as are you, and Switch Plus has always worked perfectly for me, within the confines of its available formats. But wav->wma does not seem to be one of these options.

This being said, I _am_ able to perform this particular conversion with other software. I have done exactly what you described that you want to do, except that I have used Switch with a Variable Bit Rate conversion from wav to mp3. This is the same type of compression technology that is used in the wma format, although with a different way of specifying the amount of compression. When using Switch, I use VBR from 160kbs to 320kbs, which gives a very high quality result, suitable for the type of music with which I am dealing. I believe that you may find the Switch mp3 VBR option to be quite satisfactory. You can experiment easily with various VBR settings, by clicking on the "Settings" button at the bottom of the window.

However, if you definitely want to convert from wav to wma, send me a personal message about this matter and I will respond to it, with directions on how to proceed. There are of course undoubtedly many ways to accomplish this, since the format conversion field is indeed very crowded on the internet. Correction--_extremely_ crowded :-)

musikone

Guest nchto

That is very strange indeed, as I just installed Switch v1.22 and I was able to convert a WAV to WMA without any issues. So you're certain that you have the latest version and that there is no .wma option on the conversion to? Could you take a screenshot please? It may be that the wma component in Windows was not installed correctly, see if a reinstall is able to fix the problem.

I tried reinstalling the switch software, but I got the same error message when I went to convert a .wav file to a .wma file.

But,

I went to the "Encoder Option" beside the Output Format = .wma, where you have 3 options:

1. Windows Media Audio 9.2

2. Windows Media Audio Voice 9

3. Windows Media Audio 10 Professional

I changed the default from "Windows Media Audio 9.2" to "Windows Media Audio 10 Professional",

and now the switch software converts the ".wav" files to ".wma" files fine.

Note: I am running OS=Windows-XP (SR-2) & Windows Media Player=Version 11.0.5721.5145

Thanks for your help and hope this helps other people who have this same problem with Switch.

That is very strange indeed, as I just installed Switch v1.22 and I was able to convert a WAV to WMA without any issues. So you're certain that you have the latest version and that there is no .wma option on the conversion to? Could you take a screenshot please? It may be that the wma component in Windows was not installed correctly, see if a reinstall is able to fix the problem.

=============================================================================

I am using Switch (Plus) V1.05, not Switch v1.22. Is this the reason that there is no .wma listed on the drop-down output format menu?

If so, exactly how do I go about upgrading to v1.22 without paying an additional upgrade fee?

musikone

I registered and paid for Switch Plus Version 1.05 which was already on my computer.

Then I went to the Switch website (http://nch.com.au/switch) and clicked the "Windows Download" & Run,

which upgraded my Switch Plus Version:1.05 to Version:1.22 without additional cost.

It reconized my registration and put that information into the new version.

Hope this works for you !

Guest nchto

You can either send technical support your registration information and ask them if you're able to upgrade (which may take a while for a reply, depending on your timezone), or you can simply install the newer version and see if it works (as kirtparker did). It will either accept your registration or it will tell you to upgrade your license. With the later option, ensure that you have a copy of your original installer. If the registration doesn't work you can simply use the old installer and revert your installation back to the one that worked.