I need help choosing a good audio recorder

Hanna

Hi! I was wondering if anyone can recommend - What is the best qaulity audio recorder out there. I am currently using an Olympus Model # MS300, to tape lectures at a conference. It saves the audio lectures as WMA files. Are there any recorders that save the files in an uncompressed format? If not, what is preferable, if the recorder saves it as a WMA file, or an MP3. I want to make sure that the lecture is recorded in the best quality possible, so that editing will be easier. I am using an external microphone as well. Any recommendations on that?

Thank you!

Guest nchto

MP3 is a better format than WMA simply because it cannot contain DRM. I don't know of any voice recorders that will save as uncompressed audio simply because the frequency spectrum for voice is well defined, and hence they would most likely use a codec specifically designed for compressing such an audio signal. If you truly want uncompressed audio then have a look for digital audio recorders (not just voice), but these will probably cost more too!

What is DRM?

You write "I don't know of any voice recorders that will save as uncompressed audio simply because the frequency spectrum for voice is well defined, and hence they would most likely use a codec specifically designed for compressing such an audio signal." Why would they not save it uncompressed if it will be a higher quality sound for somoene who needs to do editing to work with?

Also, can you give me a name of a qaulity audio recorder that is not just for voice recording? How pricey is it? Is it worth to make this investment if I am recording hundreds of lectures? Or is recording in MP3 likely to give me excellent quality that I can uncompress when I do my editing?

Guest nchto

DRM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Rights_Management

The memory on voice recording devices is limited (to make them cheaper and smaller in size). Using compression drastically reduces the file size, and hence means you can record more voice!

It would be very hard to notice the difference between a compressed and uncompressed lecture recording. For specific records I suggest you check out your local electronics store, they're more likely to have relevant information on this.