Windows 95 Express Scribe Installation Problem

davejay

Hello everyone! My main computer abruptly died yesterday :( ; meanwhile I have three current transcriptions to do for a client (and more coming), so I'm stuck using my 14-year old Windows 95 machine until I can get my main one repaired or replaced. I was delighted :) to read that Express Scribe will run on old Win95, so I downloaded it (through a painfully slow 14.4k modem), but I was not so delighted :( to find that it wouldn't install itself when I came to try it. I've tried both the zipped version and the unzipped one (curiously, the file size of the setup file within the zipped version is larger than the 'essetup.exe' file.)

When I run essetup.exe, I get the error message "error 0 running command .\setup.exe F", and when I unzip the es.zip file and run the setup.exe file contained therein, I get two error messages: "C:\Program Files\NCH Swift Sound\Scribe\SETUP.EXE A device attached to the system is not functioning" (So far as I know, the system is completely functional), and the other message is "The SETUP.EXE file is linked to missing export KERNEL32.DLL:IsDebuggerPresent." It doesn't do anything beyond that. So, I'm stuck using WinAmp to play the audio for transcribing work, which, as y'all surely know, is terribly tedious compared to using Express Scribe.

If anyone can help me solve this little problem, I'd be much obliged. Thanks!

David

Guest nchto

We've tried to make all our programs compatible with most versions of Windows, but it looks like Windows 95 support is now not functional. I'll pass this on to the programmers and see what they have to say, but unfortunately it looks like Windows 95 is now no longer supported.

We've tried to make all our programs compatible with most versions of Windows, but it looks like Windows 95 support is now not functional. I'll pass this on to the programmers and see what they have to say, but unfortunately it looks like Windows 95 is now no longer supported.

Would this slightly older version from www.download.com work with W95?

I found a zip file of ES v4.05 from October 2006 at www.download.com. Search for it under "Express Scribe" not ExpressScribe." The url is

http://www.download.com/Express-Scribe/300...tml?tag=lst-0-1

NCHTO and Krn, thanks for your responses. I did get the file from Download.com just now and tried it... It's the very same version in the es.zip file on NCH's own website, so it generated the same error messages. Apparently I need an older version, or need to somehow update Win95 in some way. Could I get an older version of the program from NCH? Thanks.

update, problem solved!

krn, you gave me the idea to find the program at another site, so I looked at Tucows.com and sure enough I found a version that works on my old PC, version 4.01 from 2005. Even though it says on Tucows that at least W98 is needed, it works on my W95. There are old versions out there! www.tucows.com/preview/221414