Conversion Yields huge file size

greetings all....yeah, i'm new.

i just stumbled on the "switch" program and am experimenting with it prior to contemplation of a "full" purchase.

here is what is going on; i am attempting to embed (so-to-speak) music in outlook express that, when the recipient opens the e-mail message, audio will play.

the original file is an mp3 which is apparently not recognized in outlook express as a "background sound format". i used switch (freeware) and converted the mp3 music file to every format that is listed in switch.

the problem is that the file sizes that outlook express will recognize are huge and too big to be sent with an e-mail. a 3.5mb mp3 sound file converted with switch and to all the formats that switch will recognize range from 8mbs to as high as 42 mbs!

is there a setting that i am missing (bit rate or something?) that is causing the end file size to be so darn HUGE?....any ideas?.....thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nchto

MP3s are highly compressed audio files, and converting to any other format using similar audio attributes will result in a larger file.

Why are you embedding such a large mp3 anyway? The track likely goes for several minutes correct? No-one is likely to view an email for this long, so simply cut the track to a smaller length (and hence smaller file size) using WavePad and then save this in an appropriate format for your email.